Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: vultures watching a dying corpse  (Read 9990 times)

ridgeback

Re: vultures watching a dying corpse
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »
I feel much the same,its Fossils opinion thats all,you dont have to agree with it,I certainly dont.
To assume the 400 members are all interested in cards is probably wide of the mark,I wouldnt mind betting that 300 of them just joined to find out what the cards in Grannys attic are worth and never visited again when the info they wanted was not on here.

Of course for the hardcore collectors they probably have forums they frequent which discuss in detail their particular interest rather than a General Card Collecting forum which this is.

One only has to look at the wide variety of  specific card collecting interests the few forum members who do post have, to see that..

For me its a great forum,the guys who post are knowledgeable and passionate about the subject,as for subjects that have no cartophilic interest,show me ANY forum where that does not happen from time to time.

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »
It’s nice to see you back fossil. Your post has rather made me smile, with you choosing to attack ‘lurkers’ who are members of the forum but fail to post – when you yourself haven’t posted for more than a year. And if we followed your advice and ‘pruned’ members who haven’t posted for more than a year you yourself would have been ejected from our membership months ago.

We certainly value the posts of those members who choose to contribute to our discussions and I would like to thank those regular posters who keep our cartophilic community bubbling along. It’s a shame, Fossil, that you haven’t wanted to be part of our community for the last sixteen months or so. And yet you still feel qualified to pass comment on our activities. Interesting.

Whilst posting, contributing members are at the heart of our forum we also need, and value, non-contributing members and guests. Anyone who says we should rid ourselves of non-contributing members really does not know how an internet forum is run. Your ideas, Fossil, are more suited to running a local club rather than an internet forum.

As for Wofie’s “101 cards to own before you die” thread, this has been our most successful thread and I’d like to thank Wolfie for starting it. This is still an ongoing thread and to date has had almost sixteen thousand page views. To consider this thread somehow a failure because it hasn’t yet got up to the stated 101 cards is just completely missing the point.

We do tend to take more notice of the opinions of members who post regularly and take a full part in the forum. People who take no interest in the site other to come back occasionally and take pot shots at us I’m afraid we take no notice of.

Thanks bri.d for your support by the way.

Geoff

Mariner tony

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2014, 08:23:22 PM »
That appears to me to be a reasonably well balanced response Geoff, although I would put a slightly different slant on how you define an active member. Fossil has been using the forum to a degree. We only passed each other PM's a week or so ago and I know that other members enjoy the same interaction.
His post, has though, created a debate and activity not seen for a long while.
I am pleased he is back, and hope a constructive debate continues.

Robin Friday

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 08:28:24 PM »
I agree Tony .

Geoff and Fossil have both put out valid points that need to be addressed in a sensible and adult fashion .
After all we all want what is best for the hobby .

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
I was using Fossil's own definition of an active member. Someone who actually posts on the site, not just sends PMs and emails.

If Fossil's post could be condensed to 'let's have more members posting and contributing'. I would absolutely agree with that. It's all the other jibberish I take issue with.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 08:34:04 PM by admin »

Robin Friday

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »
Geoff , with due respect Fossil did ask some questions regarding why certain changes to  the forum hadn't been implemented .
It wasn't all about lurkers and posters .

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
    You know folks it seems to me that what we have here is a doo doo situation. It's do this do that do the other and if you all think about it what this forum is for its so we can all add or take what we want from it.
    I for one like the none card chat, I guess I have been responsible for a wad of that, but that's what we should be about. It doesn't need to be a he,s right he,s wrong type of forum.
    I am going to badly remember a program I listened to on radio 4 about hobby forums. In it the person said that most forums ultimately implode or become a home for flammers. I thought you know I am glad that our forum isn't like that and that it has room for all members and all are taken as they are. No judging someone for wearing a TOON top or even a cherries top. No looking down on 12 year olds with grannies old cards.
    It's just a bunch of fellas or maybe lasses I don't know, enjoying a common interest and throwing in the odd banal comment about nothing in particular.
    Hell we even had a query about comics and it got replies.
    Ok it's not perfect but in the words of someone famous let he without sin cast the first stone.
    Admin run this site in their own time, sometimes we think why haven't they reacted to something, but let's remember what that famous person said.
    Let's enjoy this forum for what it is, if we want it to be something else then contribute whatever idea or thought or knowledge you have, and it will change. It is a living repository of ideas by minds that have a common purpose and that's what makes it ours. It doesn't belong to anyone else but us if it thrives it's because of us if it dies its because of us.
    So let's get on with enjoying it at whatever level we want to enjoy it at.
    Ok my ramblings over with. On to the next subject.

Cedric1812

• Birds, Early USA, Pokemon, UK Tobacco advertising
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:45 PM »
Well said Wolfie!
Always interested in buying rare bird cards and general reference material (books, magazines etc.)

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2014, 08:12:39 AM »
agree with me or not, a load of drivel or not, like me as a member or hate me has a member, sometimes you need a chicxulub impactor to rid some old ways to open up new forms.
my posting certainlyhad a desired affect, in prompting much response and debate, 22 replies in one day, 43 viewrs and 67  postings
somewhat a bit of a record for one day, but i am afraid it  as it still requires some answers why often members that suggest ideas , the forum just seem s to plod on and no changes are ever made.
why is it not possibele to requests new members to give an inroductory posting about thieir interests?

every time a new member does make a new post, often than not, many members welcome them, and this leads to new debates about the hobby.
isn't that what this forum needs, members coming on here to talk about the hobby ?
if it comes down to pruning members that do not post, so be it, i would agree, that i, having not posted for over a year, can b e pruned from the list.
if it is preferable to keep them on just so that the members list looks good, maybe i can find 30  or 40 friends and family join, would certainly bump up the number of members, but none would ever join in the discussion on cartophily.
if it is many members that prefer to maintain the status quo, not go along to upset the apple cart, or get into making any controversal postings, that can be their views, but i have alwaysbeen one that tries to stimulate debate in the hobby, probably make many enemis along the way, but without doubts, certainly brought in a lot of members, and postings, and hopefully a few changes and a bit of new evolution

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 02:24:27 PM »
Fossil you do have a talent for starting a debate - in this case I do agree with many of your points but equally understand Admin response and even Brids but not his choice of words.

I browse 3 or 4 times a week and have to admit do not understand or appreciate some topics and yes would welcome more. Do start a few but my limited knowledge on some of the modern cards precludes me from being active. My passion, as has been said is for the Ogden's issues and understand that my posts equally precludes others from contributing. Certainly do not and would not criticise others for how they do or do not contribute. A pat on the back for the people who do and encourage others to do the same.

Have to say my initial motive for joining is 'perhaps could expand my collection", perhaps selfish I admit but can now reassess that initial intent to enjoy the banter but still want to expand my collection.

Would like to see the site be a bit more informative with regard fairs, auctions and do think if this was the case more would get into the habit of looking a the site and perhaps contributing. Easy to say these words but would take effort and to me would be entitled to reward.

Fossil, please keep contributing your knowledge of cards and less digs at the could and should's of this world.

My main disappointment is that no body has offered me any of the cards I am looking for - somebody must have them.

The information I learn from this forum is considerably more than from the site of the CSGB, lead to understand that will change because of young new blood. Also that collectors of cards are not always welcome to the CSGB but here they are.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Robin Friday

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2014, 10:17:25 PM »
Fossil you do have a talent for starting a debate - in this case I do agree with many of your points but equally understand Admin response and even Brids but not his choice of words.

I browse 3 or 4 times a week and have to admit do not understand or appreciate some topics and yes would welcome more. Do start a few but my limited knowledge on some of the modern cards precludes me from being active. My passion, as has been said is for the Ogden's issues and understand that my posts equally precludes others from contributing. Certainly do not and would not criticise others for how they do or do not contribute. A pat on the back for the people who do and encourage others to do the same.

Have to say my initial motive for joining is 'perhaps could expand my collection", perhaps selfish I admit but can now reassess that initial intent to enjoy the banter but still want to expand my collection.

Would like to see the site be a bit more informative with regard fairs, auctions and do think if this was the case more would get into the habit of looking a the site and perhaps contributing. Easy to say these words but would take effort and to me would be entitled to reward.

Fossil, please keep contributing your knowledge of cards and less digs at the could and should's of this world.

My main disappointment is that no body has offered me any of the cards I am looking for - somebody must have them.

The information I learn from this forum is considerably more than from the site of the CSGB, lead to understand that will change because of young new blood. Also that collectors of cards are not always welcome to the CSGB but here they are.

Apologies for bumping an old one ....
I find the highlighted area interesting in that it states the CSGB who are the organisation for helping card growth grow don't always welcome card collectors .
It seems as though this is an increasing trend , worrying even with a new web site .

As for suggestions for this site  ....I have none that will be implemented .

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
I find the highlighted area interesting in that it states the CSGB who are the organisation for helping card growth grow don't always welcome card collectors .
It seems as though this is an increasing trend , worrying even with a new web site .
What makes you think this in an increasing trend Mark?  It was always a problem with the website that it is a one-man effort and there are limits to what one man can do.

You could suggest them anyway.  Nothing to lose.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 11:53:57 AM »
I thought I was perfect but my wife and three children do not agree, but I still love them.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Robin Friday

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 12:40:50 PM »
What makes you think this in an increasing trend Mark?  It was always a problem with the website that it is a one-man effort and there are limits to what one man can do.

You could suggest them anyway.  Nothing to lose.

I for 1 are fed up to the back teeth suggesting things for this site .

Mariner tony

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 01:42:17 PM »
Mark, we are enjoying robust debates at the moment. I have aired my views on more than one occasion and have enjoyed reading the views of others. I sense that those committed to reasoned debate - for the right reasons - are being listened to, if not necessarily agreed with and that's fine!
Say your piece my friend. The climate may have changed!

Who's online

22 Guests, 0 Users