Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Medicom Toy, Cards. A question of definition.  (Read 1398 times)

Gloster Javelin

Medicom Toy, Cards. A question of definition.
« on: September 16, 2014, 06:00:03 PM »
Medicom Toy, Cards. And a question of definition.

Could I pick some brains?

I just wondered, is anyone familiar with these cards?

If so, what type of card would we define these as?

They are included free, and packed in with the Medicom Pop Art toys. The cards are blind boxed and they are also sealed in blank, opaque foil wrappers, so you don’t really know what you are going to get. So there must be a bit of luck involved.

As far as I can tell, though there exist hundreds of different cards, there are nine distinct themes. Some of the themes are quite abstract. Science Fiction, Pattern, Flags, Horror, Artist, Jellybean, Animal, Cute and Basic.

The cards measure 2.5 Inches (6.4cm)  by 1.3 Inches (3.4cm) and have rounded corners. With an image on the front and text on the back.

Looking at the images themselves, some include the company's mascot, a Bear (I don’t know if this is a promotional thing), in various different contexts. For example, with the ‘Flags’ theme, the English flag is depicted by a Bear playing football. Really quite abstract. However, amongst the Science Fiction themed cards it is perhaps more standard fair, with the film, Alien, for example, being depicted over two different cards, and with two different types of H.R.Giger’s artwork. The film, Metropolis, is again depicted by the company's Bear, sporting the markings of Maria the Robot, against a background of the Metropolis. It’s a similar thing too, for the Disney film, Tron.

I include some images below from each theme.

How would we best define these cards? Japanese Trade?

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:50:53 AM by Gloster Javelin »

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: Medicom Toy, Cards. A question of definition.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:45 PM »
These cards were included with a product so they could be considered trade cards.  I have a load of "Dino Riders" cards from the late 1980s which were included with the plastic dinosaurs that my kids loved at the time.   My personal feeling is that cartophilic cards should have been issued with a product but where does that leave us with Panini stickers?  The borders between different areas of collecting are always somewhat blurred and I suppose that ultimately everyone collects what they want.  If you enjoy them collect them.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Mariner tony

Re: Medicom Toy, Cards. A question of definition.
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:08:00 AM »
"Where does that leave us with Panini stickers?"
It leaves us having to invite the horrible juvenile to the party because, no matter how he revolts the parents, he entertains the children!

Who's online

23 Guests, 0 Users