Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: One for the fluent German speakers  (Read 1335 times)

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
One for the fluent German speakers
« on: July 13, 2015, 10:53:39 AM »
I have TWO different versions of the same card, although I believe them to be from different sets.

VERSION A

VERSION B

You can ignore the size difference - Card 'A' is the true size - but obviously the orientation of the back is different and card 'A' is actually a slightly larger image (although the card is incomplete having been somehow chavelled-up at the base!)
From what I understand, card 'A' is #3 from Series 21, which means that looking at the back of card 'B' that must be card #4 from Series 4.
Yes?
And are they the same year? If not, which is the earlier? And how do you know? Is it the same issuer? Same product?
And how does the German translate?
Any further help would be gratefully acknowledged, thank you.

MT ;)

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: One for the fluent German speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 01:06:05 PM »
These cards are from the Greiling Sportbilder, a large rambling issue from the late 20s, early 30s.  It includes all sorts of subsets and quite often the same pictures were issued in more than one subset.  The first card you have is from the 21st series of large Fussballmomente (football moments) whereas the second card is from the fourth series of small Fussballmomente. 

I have a catalogue of these which I am slowly putting on line but so far I have only managed the black and white issues.  You'll find an overview of the cards here:
http://www.csogb.co.uk/Reference/MfrsG/Greiling/Sportbilder/Sportbilder.php
Note that some cards were issued with vouchers attached and the quoted size may be different from the actual size if the voucher has been cut off.

The text translates as:
Before England's cup game 1928.
The two captains greet, Healless (Blackburn Rovers) and Stevenson (Huddersfield Town).  The Rovers won 3:1

The rest of the text is about premiums you can obtain with the vouchers.  The small card indicates you should see the large cards for details.  The large card has had the voucher cut off.  Let me know if you want to know the details.

Curiously, Healless has had the double s replaced with the German "sharp" s which is grammatically correct in German but not how he spells his name.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 01:11:35 PM by IanSammel »
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
Re: One for the fluent German speakers
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »
Cheers, Ian! :D
I was unaware that the second card is actually smaller - I only won it on eBay yesterday and have yet to receive it - and I simply presumed that it would be the same size as card 'A'.

MT ;)

Who's online

20 Guests, 0 Users