Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Are cards that had to be cut from the packet as highly rated as normal cards?  (Read 3147 times)

loose cannon

At one time there was a spate of cards that were printed on the packet and had to be cut out by the collector instead of being printed as a separate item and inserted inside the packaging. I think it was mostly tea and other trade cards but there were, I believe a few cigarette cards produced in this way.

Would you rate a 'cut off the side of the packet' set as highly as a 'properly produced' set? Some of them may have rarity appeal but I think the standard of printing was mostly not up to much and the rear would usually have just been plain cardboard - no description (although the description was sometimes printed below the card on the packet).

Personally they don't do anything for me but what do you think?

Alex

I have one or two sets of cards as you mention mainly birds which came off Typhoo Tea Common British Birds and British Birds a set of twelve in colour off of Rowntree Jellies I think.
But when It comes to Turf slides I try to get them as a complete slide although in the early days I did buy a number of sets that had been cut from the slide.
Personally I rate them as good as stand alone cards and defo have a place in any ones collection.

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
I remember cutting the footballers and teams fom the Ty-Phoo tea packets.You had to collect a full set of 24 then send them off for a premium cabinet size card of a team of your choice.You would have had to drink an awful lot of tea to get a full set.

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
I remember cutting the footballers and teams fom the Ty-Phoo tea packets.You had to collect a full set of 24 then send them off for a premium cabinet size card of a team of your choice.You would have had to drink an awful lot of tea to get a full set.
That's what tea-loving grannies were for! :)

MT ;)

exdrummer

My dad ran a cafe in the 60s, so I had all the Typhoo footballers :) God knows where they all went, along with all my bubblegum cards, completely disappeared  :'(

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
The Godfrey Phillips BDV package issues of 1932 footballers still command high prices.

MT ;)

gordon0653

I certainly remember the Typhoo famous football clubs,as a young kid back in the sixties I would eagerly await our weekly  delivery of tea packets finally collecting enough and sending off for a premium colour picture of West Brom, Astle,Brown,Clark and co. Pure nostalgia for me really,Also I think its really depends on how neatly they were cut from the packets, I prefer the whole side of the packet with club description as well with a nicely cut border.

Who's online

34 Guests, 0 Users