Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: CONVENTION 2016  (Read 4404 times)

graham

CONVENTION 2016
« on: August 20, 2015, 10:55:59 PM »
Hi, i know its a long way off but do we have dates and venue for 2016 convention? I really enjoyed the Saturday at Worcester and found the extended opening hours much better. I managed to get to see a majority of the dealers without rushing around looking at my watch constantly. Any one else got any input to the new convention format ??

exdrummer

Re: CONVENTION 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
Hi Graham, the convention will be in Bracknell, Berkshire next year on Saturday 30/4/16 and Sunday 1/5/16. The opening hours I believe will be the same as this year. I enjoyed the convention, but then I always do. Do you and the other people on here prefer Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday? A small straw poll would be interesting....

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 06:25:41 PM »

Friday/Saturday for me.

jeromebelasco

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 07:08:33 PM »
friday and saturday for me too.....what's the venue?

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 09:17:59 PM »
the convention will be in Bracknell
Shame.  I was hoping it would be in Peterborough.  I don't really mind which days it is but July or August would be better when the weather is likely to be warmer.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

graham

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:58:13 PM »
saturday/sunday for me due to having to work on fridays

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 08:43:49 AM »
Saturday and Sunday every time for me Chris. It saves me taking the day off on the Friday! If I were retired then a Tuesday and Wednesday wouldn't bother me but most people are working on a Friday and doing the shopping etc on a Saturday. Sunday for me should allow for more members of the public (assuming it's advertised strongly and visible from the roadside!).
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

Mariner tony

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 10:18:09 AM »
I believe you were going to suggest a slightly broader form of advertising Sam. Any news?

exdrummer

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 04:04:46 PM »
Hi Jerome, the venue is Bracknell Leisure Centre.

Hi Sam, I know what you mean about getting time off work, I used to book my leave 16 months, the maximum allowed, before the convention. It used to sometimes irritate my manager, but he learned to live with it. As I'm now retired it doesn't really bother me, but for the reasons you have given I think Saturday/Sunday is a good idea. 

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 07:13:05 PM »
Due to work commitments Saturday/Sunday is ideal

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 09:10:13 PM »
I always look forward to the convention but like some, time can be restrictive. I personally would prefer 9.00am to 9.00 pm on Saturday saves money on the overnight stay. Gives me a chance to see all the stalls and spend the  money I saved on the accomodation. There were a few I missed last time. No,  that might have been my money running out and resisting temptation.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 02:11:02 PM »
I believe you were going to suggest a slightly broader form of advertising Sam. Any news?

Hi Tony, the advertising is now owned by Oliver Sanders. I'll be suggesting in London next week though that we look to radio and local news as well as making more of a splash online (here and Card World). As ever we will be looking to see if Tim Davidson will include some flyers with his auction lots and I may see if we could approach other auctioneers but of course we need this to be very light so someone isn't paying extra postage for adverts! :)

The board are really working hard on considering what the future of the hobby holds and how the event can remain relevant to collectors for years to come (I know this one is a huge can of worms don't worry!). Suggestions though such as inviting Topps and Panini have been made and I think that would be a brilliant move and would make the challenge of getting younger people through the door far more straightforward.
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 02:39:07 PM »
 Cedric.

Topps & Panini

What a super idea.If that dosen't pull in the younger generation nothing will   

Mariner tony

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2015, 03:21:38 PM »
Hi Sam.
Thank you for the update. I DO appreciate how hard people are working to move our hobby forward. Certainly, the development of a relationship with Topps/Panini, as I have mentioned before, would be magnificent. Some may be interested to investigate how Topps have resurrected the Allen & Ginter brand in the USA and how that is developing. What's to say that a similar format could not be developed over hear with the Taddy or A&BC brand names?
I know that the issue of introducing a younger demographic to our hobby is indeed a 'can of worms', one of which I have no intention of reopening here! Needless to say my question with regards to advertising was (in my thoughts at least) slanted towards the content of the advertising as opposed to where it is unleashed! But I think you realised that.
Keep up the good work Sam and please keep us in the loop.

card renaissance

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »
Yes, inviting Topps and Panini sounds like a good way to tap into the youth market, and hopefully the more serious ones will crossover to the earlier stuff in time. It's so easy to blow lots of money on conventional advertising and not have much to show for it. Although you've got to have a certain amount I guess :D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 09:23:17 PM by card renaissance »

Who's online

10 Guests, 0 Users