Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Grandfather's collection given to me  (Read 2839 times)

Sueblond

Grandfather's collection given to me
« on: October 04, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
Hi, I have been given my grandfather's collection of cigarette cards, his last count was over 100,000 cards and he still carried on collecting them.  They are all in the proper folders no backs have been removed they are immaculate of discolouration, tears, bends.  I know some came from his father so the collection started around 1880, my grandfather started collecting at 1910.  I have no idea if there is any value.  He has sets arranging from everything to anything.  Birds. Sports. Flowers. Famous people.  Machinery . you name it he has it. How do I catalogue them.  Is there anywhere to sell them.  They are no interest to me so I would like to know if they are valuable.  I know he had some "rare" sets he thought were worth money. I need help please

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
Re: Grandfather's collection given to me
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 10:40:36 AM »
 if you can list the sets you have and post few pictures. someone will be able to help.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:45:28 AM by bri.d »
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

Robin Friday

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 04:55:23 PM »
Hi, I have been given my grandfather's collection of cigarette cards, his last count was over 100,000 cards and he still carried on collecting them.  They are all in the proper folders no backs have been removed they are immaculate of discolouration, tears, bends.  I know some came from his father so the collection started around 1880, my grandfather started collecting at 1910.  I have no idea if there is any value.  He has sets arranging from everything to anything.  Birds. Sports. Flowers. Famous people.  Machinery . you name it he has it. How do I catalogue them.  Is there anywhere to sell them.  They are no interest to me so I would like to know if they are valuable.  I know he had some "rare" sets he thought were worth money. I need help please

do some research on ebay , card sites , buy a book .
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 04:56:54 PM by mark e »

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 04:58:24 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  A lot of options for seling cards were discussed in this thread:
http://www.cigarettecardcollecting.com/index.php?topic=1405.0
It looks like you might have some old, rare cards there.  As bri.d wrote, it would be helpful to have a list of the cards and some scans.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Mariner tony

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 06:21:43 PM »
Welcome Sue. As above really. As much info as you can please. Then help will be forthcoming.

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 07:35:05 PM »
Just to give you an idea, and there are always a few exceptions. Football and Golf seem to be the most popular, flowers and Garden hints at the other end of the scale.
Players, Will's, Lambert & Butler, Churchman's all fairly common makes between 1902-1940.

If you look on the back of the cigarette cards you will see often 'Imperial Tobacco of Great Britain and Ireland' normally at the bottom - this means its an ITC between the dates I have mention and most are not valuable.

Cards preceding 1902 do not have that label, are usually a better quality card and tend not to have descriptive text, these cards could be more desirable.

Other makes Gallahers, Carraras, Phillips, there are others who did not join the ITC, but again none really rare. Early cards are always the most desirable and generally look old against cards of the 20's & 30's.
If you can scan them, either email me or place as many titles on here.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
Should have asked, are you anywhere near Preston.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Sueblond

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »
Thanks guys very helpfull.  The cards are packaged up in my loft at the moment as I have just taken on a renovation and unexpectedly have a 4 month old.  Too be honest I doubt I will be able to get to the cards until the new year. 

I am in Essex.  As soon as I can I will photograph and try and list some of the cards I have.!

Thanks again

Gumman2

• Gumman2
  • All Gum cards but mainly A&BC
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
Hi Sue,

If you wanted your collection valued at some time in the future there are several members of the East Anglian Cigarette Card Club who live down in Essex and I'm sure one of them would look your cards over and give you a rough value.

Check out our website www.eaccc.co.uk for contact details.

Who's online

30 Guests, 0 Users