Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Help with silk cigarette cards  (Read 1912 times)

Marion

Help with silk cigarette cards
« on: November 27, 2015, 01:16:30 AM »
Greetings from downunder!

I have inherited two items which have silk cigarette cards on them (will attach photos)
As I know very little about these cards, apart from searching on Google, I am wondering whether these would be worth much as they have been sewn onto material, and whether the best place to sell them would be Ebay, and possibly how much they may be worth.

Any help or guidance would be gratefully appreciated,
Thank you,
Marion  :)

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
Re: Help with silk cigarette cards
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:14:27 AM »
Very nice and there will be collectors out there, but of little value. This is how girls were encouraged to use the silks in this way. They come up on sites every now and then, maybe consider donating to a local museum.

Marion

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:05:41 AM »
Thanks Wolfie,

There are no museums close to where I live, I asked a friend who has contacts at one in WA and she said they would probably not be that interested! Sadly we don't have museums here like the UK!

Your help is appreciated,

Marion

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »
Philips issued the most silks, they sometimes have the letters BDV on them which confirms Philips. There were other issuers of silks, American Tobacco to mention one other.

It was an alternative to card because of its difficulty to get, around the first world war. They can be very attractive but need to be in good condition without fraying.

If you look on eBay under cigarette cards, silks you will probably find some of the examples you have.

Flags not the most popular, sport and some military are more desirable.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Marion

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 01:09:11 AM »
Thanks Ogdenscards,

I did look on Ebay but couldn't find the one of Kitchener or some of the others. Most of them seem to be in fairly good condition, one or two of them are starting to fray slightly underneath the sewing but the rest seem to be good.

I will have another hunt on Ebay.

Your help is appreciated, thank you.

Marion

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »
There are very few silks that would be considered rare and bring a good price. In good condition sold as a group would expect £10-£20 for the lot. On the cushion is more of a social history item.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Marion

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 02:17:06 AM »
Thank you Ogdenscards, that gives me an idea of price so will work on that.
 :)

Who's online

10 Guests, 0 Users