Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Car boot sale acquisition yesterday - 1888 Allen & Ginter album  (Read 1154 times)

admin

• Administrator
I came across this yesterday at a car boot sale - "World's Inventors" (A25) American collector's album, issued in 1888 to promote Allen & Ginter brand cigarettes. The images are not individual card stuck into the album but printed pictures. According to Burdick's "The American Card Catalog": "Souvenir albums of this type, as issued by the tobacco companies, were probably intended to replace the individual cards if the smoker so desired, or at least enable him to own the entire collection of designs without the difficulty attendant to obtaining all the individual cards in a set. Later, their popularity induced the tobacco companies to publish a few albums that had no card counterparts. All were given in exchange for coupons packed with the cigarettes, usually 75 or 100 coupons for each album...All date in the 1888-1890 period." This series depicting inventors was never issued as individual cards and only released in album form.

It's in overall pretty good condition for its age. After a bit of research I discovered what I thought was the cover is in fact page 2, so it's missing the cover which depicted Thomas Edison.

ridgeback

Re: Car boot sale acquisition yesterday - 1888 Allen & Ginter album
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 08:19:03 AM »
What a cracking find !

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »
A really nice find.  It's a shame about the cover.  I wonder how it got to England. 
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 09:52:35 AM »
Amazing find for a car boot! I wish my local one would turn up stuff like that!

The Allen & Ginter albums are to my mind the most beautifully illustrated albums out there (there are some others of course) but every album they did was superb.
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 11:15:05 AM »
Allen & Ginter advertised there tobacco and cigarettes in our English press from 1890 and likely earlier, so would be in the tobacconists shops.

AG became absorbed into the American Trust (ATC) which because of the import duties wanted to get a base in this country, hence the eventual purchase of Ogden's by the Trust
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Who's online

26 Guests, 1 User
Cedric1812