Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: H Vardon & H Hilton 1898 Ogdens  (Read 8001 times)

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
Re: H Vardon & H Hilton 1898 Ogdens
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 07:35:12 PM »
Well done, but consider that the 201-1000 commenced issue at Feb 1902, the numbers we refer to are 475- 480 for the golfers could be a few months later.

These are all Base I

The background all looks to me the same building
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:35:09 PM by Ogdenscards »
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 07:44:24 PM »
How did you find out it was the royal Liverpool golf house, would like to know that.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 07:54:42 PM »
Sandy Herd won the open championship in 1902 and he is not featured in these cards, which suggests you are right if they are at Liverpool.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 08:34:15 PM »
Just been checking the Cricketers & Sportsman series with cards in the Tab type series 'C' 200 - 300 and there are 21 cards using the same image.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 08:38:22 PM by Ogdenscards »
Best Regards David

searching

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 10:54:10 PM »
Jediknight and David, I would like to say that you guys are awsome,  your hard spent time trying to solve a card mystery from long ago deserves  credit.
I looked at Hoyoak Golf Club web site and there is a picture of Harold Hilton sitting alongside a building with that distinctive brick coping , so its a real possibility.
Further I sent two emails to Hoyoak Golf Club asking if they would view this site and the top work you came up with to confirm if the site is in fact Hoyoak..

So, I await a response from them,  I must say all this is very positive and really interesting.
The simple detail,  long forgotten,  of where these photos were taken may soon be know.

I tip my hat to you.

Jediknight

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 11:08:16 PM »
Had a look at several early images of Open venue Clubhouses & can't see any others that fit.

In several of the images there are either white posts in front of the distinctive brickwork or brick pillars curving up into arches.
If you look at at the image of the Hoylake clubhouse in the bay listing below you can see those same white posts alongside the brick pillars & arches.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROYAL-LIVERPOOL-GOLF-CLUB-ALSO-KNOWN-AS-HOYLAKE-ORIGINAL-POSTCARD-/332013279276?hash=item4d4d88982c:g:ZgAAAOSwG-1WvjXX

Jediknight

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 11:14:54 PM »

https://goo.gl/images/IQJiPU

Also found this image which is the one used in the Braid card. The text accompanying the photo states taken at Royal Liverpool (Hoylake) Golf Club.

Also, one of the golf subjects with those distinctive brick pillars in the background is Ryder Richardson. His caption states 'Secretary of Hoylake Golf Club.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 11:17:19 PM by Jediknight »

Ogdenscards

« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2016, 11:28:56 AM »
The brick arches certainly look the part, see Balls picture background
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2016, 11:31:01 AM »
The remaining cards
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »
Post card image of Liverpool club house, note the arches in the middle front similar if nit the same as Ball's image
Best Regards David

exdrummer

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2016, 01:15:29 PM »
Absolutely stunning research guys, please keep going until you have all the answers. Thanks for your efforts.

Jediknight

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2016, 04:18:06 PM »
Post card image of Liverpool club house, note the arches in the middle front similar if nit the same as Ball's image

David,

That's the postcard image I was trying to show in the ebay listing I posted a link to previously.

In my opinion the same arches.

You can see below in a current image the arches still exist but have been glazed in to extend the clubhouse.

Digging a little deeper I looked for some images of the front of the clubhouse currently:

And looking at that image confirmed it for me.
Looks familiar doesn't it?

The arched window, the formation of the brick pillar & the circular doorbell (or whatever it is!).

Location of those images confirmed as Royal Liverpool in my eyes.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2016, 09:15:11 AM »
Yes I 100% agree, good photographic evidence.
Best Regards David

D. Jones

• BUYING BOXING and GOLF in higher grades
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2017, 05:12:51 AM »
For those who know this set.....

Are these the only golfers in it? Just the Vardon and Hilton or are there more golfers?

thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------
Currently looking for a Mint or Ex-Mint 1938 Churchman Boxing Set. Come sell me one.

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »
david will no. only seen 3  Vardon.  Hilton.  laidlay ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:00:02 AM by bri.d »
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

Who's online

35 Guests, 1 User
Cedric1812