Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: H Vardon & H Hilton 1898 Ogdens  (Read 8003 times)

searching

H Vardon & H Hilton 1898 Ogdens
« on: September 19, 2016, 01:40:44 AM »
Hello, Harry Vardon and Harold Hilton, Ogdens 1898

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 01:44:22 AM by searching »

sparsholtboy

Re: H Vardon & H Hilton 1898 Ogdens
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 08:42:47 AM »
Fantastic cards, seen the repros but didn't know any real ones existed. I have these two in the OG 97 'subset' tabs. As a relatively new Ogden collector, I'm keen to contact others who may be able to help fill gaps in my Tab collection

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 11:15:29 AM »
very desirable cards  david (ogdenscards) has a few cards from this set. not sure if he's got the vardon card
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

exdrummer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 12:16:06 PM »
I've only seen the cricketers from this set, they are very rare. I'm sure the golfers will be very sought after....

Steve F

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Spectacular cards from the rare 1899 Ogden's "Green gravure" issues...

i'd love to add them to my Cricket ones - I have 25/36 with 10/14 remaining 'non cricket issues' (No Golfers), making 35/50 which is a big chunk of them even though some have the TAB's missing. The paper base of the card is pretty ordinary, so they seldom appear in good condition with the TAB's remaining, which makes these two exceptional cards.

The best I can offer is this one, which is in VG+ Condition and remains one of the favorite cards in my collection (for obvious reasons)...

Cheers & thanks for sharing the Vardon & Hilton cards

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 04:04:01 PM »
Nice cards, Brian is right I am missing both, also as said before condition is always important but these do not turn up in top condition very often.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 09:29:47 PM »
Fantastic cards, seen the repros but didn't know any real ones existed. I have these two in the OG 97 'subset' tabs. As a relatively new Ogden collector, I'm keen to contact others who may be able to help fill gaps in my Tab collection

Have 1000's of duplicate Ogden's cards, email me eandavidthompson@gmail.com
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

morph

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 10:40:00 PM »
Are they for sale? Great cards and like most never seen an original Vardon.

searching

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2016, 06:21:25 AM »
Hello ,
           I thank you for asking, but the Harry Vardon and Harold Hilton cards are not for sale at this point in time.

I am very pleased you, and many others are enjoying seeing them.

Paul.

Joshrhodesss

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 11:22:49 PM »
I'm curious Now , if they were for sale what price would they realise ?

searching

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »
Hello ,
            I am not sure what they are worth. They are not for sale.

They are very desirable , and possibly two of the three, first golfer image cigarette cards ever produced.
Although I am not absolutely sure about that.

There are others that are far more knowledgeable than myself and I would welcome their opinion if that is correct.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 12:05:39 PM »
The format, size and image of the cards is conducive with the turn of the century, 1901- 2. This period of Ogden's was under the ownership of the American Trust, the period we call the Tobacco War.

The image is the same as found in all the golfing cards of that period.

A few series of  Tabs
Numbered Guinea Golds
Base I numbered

Which came first is not exactly known as it would have only been months apart.

Value is dictated by desirability and rarity and these have both, unfortunately a little let down by condition. However some may be worth more than you hoped, email me and we can discuss.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2016, 10:49:46 AM by Ogdenscards »
Best Regards David

Steve F

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 11:12:25 AM »
David,

According to Pg 35 of Derek Deadman's 1985 edition of "Cricket Cigarette and Trade Cards - an extended listing", these cards are recorded as Cricketers and Sportsmen (Adopted Title), Unnumbered (50), Green Gravure printing, 1899 - 36 Cricketers.

Your note indicates you don't believe them manufactured until 1901/02 - can you identify why you think this is the case?

I've always believe Deadman's research was pretty accurate and he also suggests that the Base M's (both the wide spaced and closed spaced capitals) were produced in 1899 as well.

It makes sense whenever both sets were produced that they were done in the same time frame as the English Cricket subjects in both issues are similar.

As posted earlier I've got a fair few of these cards 35/50 (25/36 cricketers & 10/14 others - no golfers) but would love to be able to also confirm whether they are 1899 or 1901/02.

Hope you can confirm one way or the other?

Ogdenscards

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 11:55:39 AM »
Nothing is definite as the definitive proof does not exist as of yet, but indications from other series suggests this period. What we need to do and I haven't done this yet is to find out when the pictures were actually taken.

I would be surprised if an image appeared in 1899 and the same image appeared in the Guinea Gold numbered series 3 years later.

I know that the team Captained by Joe Darling toured England 1899 and this is I believe the reason 1899 has been previously mentioned, it cannot be before that and also a little time needed for the process of producing the series, Joe Darling captained until 1905 google tells me.

The whole series would not have been produced until following the last photograph which I do not as yet know the dates, of course this presumes that all were printed together, which I do think is likely.

This series has been recorded as an overseas issue, the subjects may suggest Australia as the point of issue that I do not know.

The series known as Actress - Green Photogravure is the same format again with images of other series, but again listed as 1899 but only because of the Cricket and Sportsman series.

I would like to find out which brand the cards were issued in

So to answer your question specifically, the period I mentioned was the period when these images were being used the most.

I would appreciate your input into establishing your slant on the dates i.e. when the photos were taken, and not because of what the book says which is it could not be before 1899 and not before the tour.

Also, and again your input, do the cards only represent 1899 and not following years.

You now have a challenge.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 11:59:21 AM »
Another question are there any other series of other issuers that could aid the dating of the images.
Best Regards David

Who's online

33 Guests, 1 User
Cedric1812