Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: THE SUN SOCCERCARDS  (Read 2498 times)

robinnood

THE SUN SOCCERCARDS
« on: February 19, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »
I KNOW THE SUN SOCCERCARDS ARE A BIT OF A JOKE BUT THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT HOW BAD THEY ARE THAT MAKES THEM APPEALING , I NEED 127 CARDS TO COMPLETE THE 1,000 CARD SET ,I HAVE 549 DUPLICATES AND I JUST WONDERED IF ANYBODY ELSE COLLECTS THEM AND IS WILLING  TO SWAP ANY CARDS.
REGARDS
ROB

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
Re: THE SUN SOCCERCARDS
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 08:23:23 AM »
I am not sure what you mean by a bit of a joke when you refer to the Sun soccer cards. The cards exist there is 1000 of them to collect, which I would imagine would be quite a challenge.

Not a football fan myself but can appreciate the draw to them if you are a collector of football.

Remember that there are many a crude series of cards out there that at sometime in their existence were considered unattractive, but fashions change.

I commend you on your quest no matter how easy or difficult or what subject.

As it happens I have many of these cards, accumulated with others over the years and know there are many duplicates.

I also suspect that some cards will be more difficult to find, likely less popular teams and players and I also suspect that there are not many complete series out there despite the number of cards that turn up.

Also as a point of interest or is it just me miss noticing, the cards always seem to be in top condition, is this because unissued cards have been placed into the collecting market.

It would be interesting to read your knowledge of the cards when and how issued. Was it as simple as one card one issue of the Sun Newspaper.

The point I am making is that all series have a story and if that story is not documented then the story is lost.

I know nothing about this series and am looking forward to being educated about this series.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 10:24:55 AM »
Info on this set is summarised on Nigel's excellent football card website. It includes the huge checklist!

Background info; http://cards.littleoak.com.au/index_sun.html

The checklist; http://cards.littleoak.com.au/checklists/check_thesun_7980_soccercards.html
:)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:27:45 AM by wandererpaul »
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

Ogdenscards

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 04:43:13 PM »
What a great web site if you are into football cards, did not know that existed.

So now I know or a least know were to look.

Nigel has certainly put the work in, a good record for the football followers.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

robinnood

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 04:58:44 PM »
As wandererpaul suggests nigels webspace is probably the best place to be educated about these cards , the website explains better than i ever could,as a matter of interest there is a great and amusing piece at the football attic blogspot.
i was always of the understanding that you collected tokens from the paper and sent them off to retrieve a pack of 50 cards,if i am wrong hopefully some one can correct me.
i dont think i meant they were really bad just very quirky which i find appealing.
i dont particulary know why most of the cards you get hold of are in very good condition , i have had a couple which have been faded by the sun(no pun intended).
i have only seen 4 complete sets , i have 873 and am hoping to be the 5th  one i`ve seen.
regards
rob

Ogdenscards

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 05:59:42 PM »
When you receive a pack of 50 cards, is each pack the same until the next in the series pack some months later, or are the contents of each pack random, hence you have to keep getting packs and you end up with thousands of duplicates.

You do not surprise me in that you have seen limited amount of completed sets.

Best of luck in finding the remaining cards you need.

I do not know what I have but no doubt you will have them.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 06:02:18 PM by Ogdenscards »
Best Regards David

robinnood

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 05:00:59 PM »
JUST REPLYING TO OGDENSCARDS , THANKS FOR YOUR ENCOURAGING WORDS ON MY QUEST TO COMPLETE THE SUN SOCCER CARDS , WOULD JUST LIKE TO SAY `QUEST IS OVER AS OF 3:13 TODAY `.
1,000 CARDS COMPLETE .
A WORD OF ENCOURAGEMENT TO ANYBODY ELSE COLLECTING THIS SET,AT ONE POINT IT LOOKED AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK ,HUNDREDS OF DUPLICATES AND 8 CARDS THAT WERE ABSOLUTE BUGGERS TO ACQUIRE,KEEP GOING YOU WILL GET THEM AND DONT GIVE IN TO PEOPLE ASKING FOR OVER INFLATED PRICES FOR THESE CARDS.
BEST WISHES
ROB

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 05:10:52 PM »
Well done on that one👍.
UtS!

Ogdenscards

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 06:24:31 PM »
And from me, what is your next challenge, recommend Guinea Golds, they will keep you occupied for many years and I can help.
Best Regards David

robinnood

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 09:49:45 AM »
JUST CHECKED OUT THE GUINEA GOLDS AND OGDENS TABS TYPE CARDS ON FOOTBALL CARTOPHILIC SITE, THE TABS TYPE CARDS HAVE PEAKED MY INTEREST , ITS THE FOOTBALL CARDS I`M INTERESTED  IN  AND THEY SEEM  TO HAVE QUITE A FEW OVER SEVERAL SERIES.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 03:44:00 PM »
The football cards depicted in the TABS,  amongst others are, the Cup teams of 1901 & 2, Tottenham, Sheffield United & Southampton
Best Regards David

Who's online

19 Guests, 1 User
ridgeback