April 23, 2018, 11:55:00 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: Prominent Footballers Cards Wanted  (Read 768 times)

Jon Hall

Prominent Footballers Cards Wanted
« on: January 05, 2018, 08:57:26 AM »
Hello everyone -

I am looking for cigarette/tobacco cards featuring my great grandfather. He was John Henry Hall (J H Hall) and appears in the 1907 Taddy's Prominent Footballers set when playing for Brighton and the 1913 set when playing for Birmingham.

I have managed to buy the Brighton card, and (having only just discovered that it exists!) am now looking for the Birmingham one. I do understand that the later card is both rare and expensive when available. Other members of my family would also like these, so although I do have a Brighton card I might well be interested in at least one more. There is a card in the 1908 series featuring a J Hall who also played for Brighton, but that is a different chap. Confusingly, not only were they both 'J Hall's, they both played for Brighton in the same era and were both known as Jack!. But the correct cards are 'J H Hall'.

Any info, offers, leads etc gratefully received.

Many thanks - Jon

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
Re: Prominent Footballers Cards Wanted
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 10:37:13 PM »
Did you try Garry as I suggested, Jon?

Jon Hall

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:00:41 PM »
Yes, I did.

Unfortunately he has neither card (but just to confuse matters he did have the one of the 'other' J Hall from the 1908 series!). He did have the whole Birmingham 1913 set at one time, but no longer does - not that I would have been able to buy one from the set of course!

Thanks very much for the lead anyway - Garry has said he will keep his eyes open for them.

All the best - Jon

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 08:21:52 AM »
Well, that was my best shot.
Good luck with your search, Jon.
:)

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:37:08 AM »
Have the prominent footballers cards been reproduced, and if so has this particular card
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Jon Hall

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 10:42:18 AM »
Looking around it seems that some cards have been - usually in groups of those who played for a particular team, so supporters of that team can buy them - but I haven't seen reproductions of either of the ones I am looking for.

Unless of course someone with more knowledge of the subject than me (which is everyone!) knows better? It would be Brighton 1907 and Birmingham 1913...

Ogdenscards

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:48:33 AM »
I do not know which part of the country you are from but there are many fairs and dealers who will be only to willing to sell you cards. I live north of Preston.

Last weekend of April there is the annual card convention, there is the place to find your card or at least find the contact that will lead you to the cards.

Forgotten where it is this year, some body will remind me.

Also a magazine called 'The Card Scene', this gives all the venues and a lot of the contacts of wanted cards.

There is also the CSGB, which is the overseeing society for card collecting.

You will defiantly be able to find the cards you are looking for.

The cards are expensive because of being a popular subject but that will depend on condition, the better the condition the higher the price.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
King's Lynn David. Last weekend in April!
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

Jon Hall

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:03:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I'm in North Bedfordshire. I f I can source the cards online then I would prefer that - a trip to Preston, King's Lynn or wherever on the off chance would be both time consuming and expensive (as well as being potentially quite frustrating)!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:25:12 PM by Jon Hall »

Ogdenscards

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 03:37:30 PM »
That depends on how you look at it, I/we collectors look forward to the trip and are rarely disappointed, but understand if you are not a collector.
Best Regards David

Jon Hall

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 08:42:45 AM »
Yes, I think it would be very different if I were a proper collector - but actually I am only looking for these two cards.

Who's online

24 Guests, 0 Users