April 21, 2018, 04:39:43 AM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: 1922 Amalgamated Press Sportsmen photostamps  (Read 375 times)

Brian Cricket

• Another cricket card nut!!!!
1922 Amalgamated Press Sportsmen photostamps
« on: February 07, 2018, 07:56:36 AM »
Hi all,

The ?cards? I am interested in are the Football & Sports Favourite / Sports Fun photostamps sets of 168 smaller and 24 larger sportsmen. I would love to compile more information and scans of these two sets.

For a start I am after decent scans of the 14 full sheets of 12 smaller subjects and the 8 strips of 3 larger subjects. Or at least decent scans of individual photostamps.

At the moment I have scans/photocopies of 5 of the 14 sheets of 12 smaller subjects, 3 of the 8 strips of 3 larger subjects, 156 of 168 individual smaller subjects and 24 of 24 individual larger subjects. Unfortunately many are of very poor quality to the point where I can?t even read the names, but I have done hours of research to identify the images.

I am also intrigued as to exactly which publication and date that these items were given away with? There is mention of ?Sports Fun? as well as ?Football & Sports Favourites? and even reference to ?Boys Magazine? by some people. I tend to think that the reference to ?Boys Magazine? is in a generic sense, not a reference to that particular publication (as in the photostamps were given away in a boys magazine?.not in the ?Boys Magazine?). I recall seeing a website ages ago that contained information on early childrens magazines and the free gifts that they gave away, but I can?t seem to find it again unfortunately. Do you know of such a site or someone who collects these magazines that would give an exact date of each giveaway? At the moment I just refer to these two sets as being produced by Amalgamated Press in 1922 until I get more definitive information.

Any help appreciated.
Regards
Brian Jukes
bjukesnt@gmail.com
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 08:33:57 AM by Brian Cricket »

exdrummer

Re: 1922 Amalgamated Press Sportsmen photostamps
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 05:42:43 PM »
According to the CSGB Trade Index these are known as Happy Snaps of Famous Sportsmen and were issued in "Sports Fun" in the 1920's. The ref. no. is FOO-040 and states 168 issued in strips of 12 and 24 issued in strips of 3.

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange

Brian Cricket

• Another cricket card nut!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 05:42:06 AM »
Hi Exdrummer, Thanks for the reference, but unfortunately I don?t have a copy of the Trade Index.

Hi Alan, I had seen the page from your excellent website thanks very much. You say that all cards are shown in the album photycopy, but as exdrummer mentions above, there are 168 small and 24 large stamps, but your album only shows 144 small and 24 large.

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 09:29:45 AM »
Hi Brian,

Yes, your right. I shouldn't trust my memory! One of the earlier posts lists all 14 of the 12 sticker sheets and I still only have details of 2 of the sheets of the larger stickers.

Who's online

39 Guests, 0 Users