Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Baines cards wanted ( any sport )  (Read 616 times)

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
Re: Baines cards wanted ( any sport )
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
I started a blog display Baines cards and those of his contemporaries, as cards were issued by many, many printers and firms. The list of issuers I have currently stand at 149 and I have scans of around 2,000 cards but I haven't done much research as most of my spare time these days is taken up with my Football Cartophilic Info Exchange blog.

http://bainesfootballcards.blogspot.com/

They cover a range of subjects as well as all sorts of sports - the usual football, rugby and cricket but also bowls, swimming, athletics, netball, hockey, etc.

Some of the better rugby cards come from the 1880's when cards were produced for specific Yorkshire Cup fixtures e.g. St. John's v Dewsbury.

There are plenty of military/boer war subject, royalty, including a superb one of Queen Victoria, politicians, counties of the UK and various members of the Baines family.

And then there are those which don't seem to fit ANY kind of category!

I love them - they're beautiful cards.  ;D

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2018, 09:20:13 PM »
I started a blog display Baines cards and those of his contemporaries, as cards were issued by many, many printers and firms. The list of issuers I have currently stand at 149 and I have scans of around 2,000 cards but I haven't done much research as most of my spare time these days is taken up with my Football Cartophilic Info Exchange blog.

http://bainesfootballcards.blogspot.com/

They cover a range of subjects as well as all sorts of sports - the usual football, rugby and cricket but also bowls, swimming, athletics, netball, hockey, etc.

Some of the better rugby cards come from the 1880's when cards were produced for specific Yorkshire Cup fixtures e.g. St. John's v Dewsbury.

There are plenty of military/boer war subject, royalty, including a superb one of Queen Victoria, politicians, counties of the UK and various members of the Baines family.

Some absolute stunners on your list Alan! Thanks for flagging those. For what it's worth guys here is the Sharpe's that I got 6 months or so ago.
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2018, 09:48:15 PM »
Very nice, Cedric. ;D

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »
I think there is quite a bit online about Baines but in terms of listing them all I am surprised more hasn't been done tbh. LDC Auctions have a great page of images of examples and I think there's a huge collection at a museum in Bradford actually. I did meet a chap in Pudsey that was an expert on Baines and Sharpe's but I can't remember his name! I'll ask at the Yorkshire branch this Sunday and see if I can track him down. I was fortunate at the back end of last year to get a Sharpe's shield showing 'Play up America' with a native American buffalo hunt scene on it. It's one of my most prized cards! (I'll do a scan this weekend)

Met a nice chap called Bill Duerden from Burnley at Timperley once, who was a Baines expert, but that?s a goodly while ago.
UtS!

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2018, 12:29:08 PM »
I think there is quite a bit online about Baines but in terms of listing them all I am surprised more hasn't been done tbh. LDC Auctions have a great page of images of examples and I think there's a huge collection at a museum in Bradford actually. I did meet a chap in Pudsey that was an expert on Baines and Sharpe's but I can't remember his name! I'll ask at the Yorkshire branch this Sunday and see if I can track him down. I was fortunate at the back end of last year to get a Sharpe's shield showing 'Play up America' with a native American buffalo hunt scene on it. It's one of my most prized cards! (I'll do a scan this weekend)

Met a nice chap called Bill Duerden from Burnley at Timperley once, who was a Baines expert, but that?s a goodly while ago.
I know the chap who ran the Timperley club until just recently, John Drew.
Big HTAFC fan and collector.

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
I had no idea that they were issued this early, they must be some of the earliest cards issued.

Clearly a topic worth research, am not sure what you mean by multiple issuers/ printers, is the term Baines cards generic or a particular firm or person who used multiple printers.

I know nothing on this subject.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2018, 01:40:00 PM »
I can see that Baines is from Bradford, from the reverse of some of the scanned cards, what was he promoting, were these free with a product or were they purchased at sporting events or even given out promoting his business.

Do we even know what his business was?
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2018, 01:43:23 PM »
If I was a sport enthusiast these are what I would collect, the scans are so good and the information on the backs indicative of his business.

More scans please and more information.
Best Regards David

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 03:36:00 PM »
This used to be a good history on John Baines and the cards he and his company had printed.

http://www.bainesfootballcards.co.uk/History-1.php

Not too sure if it?s up to date or links still work properly.
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

wandererpaul

• Brentford FC Memorabilia
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
It has been said already, there aren?t any definitive lists of what was produced. There could be 6000 different cards issued, 7000 even, nobody really knows. No one kept records like they did for cigarette cards.

I have two Brentford J Baines cards (with two players named A.S. Ling and A. Bartlett) and seen three others (G. Reid, ?Hands? and a cricket ball). One of the cards that I have, and purchased recently, hadn?t been seen before. How many more are out there or printed? We haven?t a clue!

As a one club collector, you just have to keep your eyes peeled on auction sites.....

Their values range enormously too. Some can be ?5/?10 while others could command ?150/?200. It all depends on the subject.
Not Forgotten; W.Allwright,H.Gould,J.Greechan,P.Hagan,G.Kennedy,G.Littler,H.Purver,H.Robotham,P.Saunders,R.Shields,A.Walker

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 05:19:51 PM »
From this anoraks point of view, what appeared on the backs of the cards was just as important as what appears on the front.

Penno55

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2018, 08:02:35 AM »
I did have just over 300 about 15 years ago and sold them to a chap from Bury. Since then I have somehow managed to get upto about 130. Mainly sport,some military and the odd naval card. Which is your most prized Baines card in your collection ?

😲 Sadly it wasn?t me!
Interestingly, I?ve never come across any other cigarette/trade card collectors from Bury in all these years.

Just taking a skip through my Baines I have a Bury Baines card with a chap called Ross on it. Looks a nice card. Maybe we should create a post for " your favourite Baines Card in your collection". The only rule being you have to currently own it

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2018, 10:46:41 AM »
I did have just over 300 about 15 years ago and sold them to a chap from Bury. Since then I have somehow managed to get upto about 130. Mainly sport,some military and the odd naval card. Which is your most prized Baines card in your collection ?

😲 Sadly it wasn?t me!
Interestingly, I?ve never come across any other cigarette/trade card collectors from Bury in all these years.

Just taking a skip through my Baines I have a Bury Baines card with a chap called Ross on it. Looks a nice card. Maybe we should create a post for " your favourite Baines Card in your collection". The only rule being you have to currently own it

Any chance of a pic?

BTW - this is my favourite ?Baines style? card, but it was issued by Sharpes and is 3 3/4? in diameter (or 12cm for any young folk). Incidentally, amongst the players is George Ross, who captained our record 6-0 cup winning side of 1903.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:04:10 AM by shaker »
UtS!

Penno55

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 01:11:40 PM »

😲 Sadly it wasn?t me!

Any chance of a pic?

BTW - this is my favourite ?Baines style? card, but it was issued by Sharpes and is 3 3/4? in diameter (or 12cm for any young folk). Incidentally, amongst the players is George Ross, who captained our record 6-0 cup winning side of 1903.

I will scan the card as soon as I can. I am really impressed by the Sharpes team issue...not many of those around I shouldn't wonder. I wonder what the print run was on these types of issues. Anyway what is clear, not many survived..

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 02:30:42 PM »

A lovely card, do you have any idea of the date going by the players featured on it? I've always thought of W.N. Sharpe cards as being issued in 1880's and 1890's.

Who's online

24 Guests, 0 Users