Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Baines cards wanted ( any sport )  (Read 1376 times)

rugbymem

• baines cards wanted - any sport
Baines cards wanted ( any sport )
« on: March 27, 2018, 11:30:28 AM »
If you have the odd baines card in your collection and you're willing to let it go, please get in touch for an offer
interested in buying any baines cards ( or similar ) , please send a PM or email me on  stuart.quinn@sgsco.com

Penno55

Re: Baines cards wanted ( any sport )
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 09:01:34 PM »
I did have just over 300 about 15 years ago and sold them to a chap from Bury. Since then I have somehow managed to get upto about 130. Mainly sport,some military and the odd naval card. Which is your most prized Baines card in your collection ?

rugbymem

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 06:34:22 AM »
like all Baines, but My favourites are rugby and football cards featuring named players. If you have any , would like to see pics if possible on email , my address is at the bottom, cheers
interested in buying any baines cards ( or similar ) , please send a PM or email me on  stuart.quinn@sgsco.com

Penno55

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:45:39 AM »
I have about 60 cards of cricket rugby and football with an individual named player on. The others consist of generic cards military and naval with named personalities such as Bugler Dunne and sports including 8 generic golf and 1 named. I will try and get some scanned to you when I get some spare time.

My previous collection which I regret selling included several New York baseball cards which unfortunately we're generic but nevertheless I have never seen any others apart from the ones I had. Also were 12 cards of my own football team which took years to put together.

On the other hand the chap they went to was a very happy collector when he acquired them....

rugbymem

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 08:12:32 AM »
thats great thanks..
nearly all mine are rugby with a few football and cricket
i can send you some scans aswell in return.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 09:58:32 AM by rugbymem »

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 12:12:58 PM »
Never collected them but certainly can see the attraction, is there any information as to what series and how many they produced, my Murrays catalogue of 2008 seems not to included them.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

rugbymem

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 12:30:16 PM »
Never collected them but certainly can see the attraction, is there any information as to what series and how many they produced, my Murrays catalogue of 2008 seems not to included them.

when they were produced, nothing was documented about them , no lists, etc and definitely no sets involved.
thats the great thing about them, odd cards appear that have never been seen before.
bought a large collection about 18 months ago and i had never seen 95% of them
i would say at least 5000+ different cards , but we will never find out the true number
niche collecting area / hope it stays that way!

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 08:45:32 PM »
Very odd...
I bought one of these only last night!
I have finally been convinced that this card - WELL PLAYED SCARLET RUNNERS - simply MUST be a reference to my football club, Huddersfield Town.
They went by that nickname during their first season, 1908-09, although this card probably dates from c1918-early 1920s.

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 08:49:04 PM »
I also have this, rare prototype.

Designed almost certainly to celebrate Town's 1922 FA Cup win, the card shows the old Cup and date, however - this item never actually went into production, making it exceedingly RARE!!
In fact Baines ceased trading soon after this date, which probably explains why it never made the print run.
As you will all be aware, there are certainly other examples of Baines cards of circular design and the 'Well Played' logo is most certainly a regular feature of their cards.

And you can see ALL of my Baines cards by visiting my website HERE.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 08:55:47 PM by MansfieldTerrier »

Steve F

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 12:08:19 AM »
I've got about two dozen of these in the Cricket Ball shape plus a handful of others with shield shapes including the best of the lot - a Rugby one highlighting "Australia" with what is purported to be an image of one of the fathers of Rugby in Australia - the immortal cricketer Victor Trumper.

I've never been able to confirm if it is him depicted but there is a definite likeness and given his standing in the cricket world in the 1890's/1900's as well as the origins of competition Rugby in Australia at the time it seems quite plausible

If its not true Ce la vie - either way its a great card to have...

shaker

• Anything Bury - (but not programmes!)
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2018, 07:44:46 AM »
I did have just over 300 about 15 years ago and sold them to a chap from Bury. Since then I have somehow managed to get upto about 130. Mainly sport,some military and the odd naval card. Which is your most prized Baines card in your collection ?

😲 Sadly it wasn?t me!
Interestingly, I?ve never come across any other cigarette/trade card collectors from Bury in all these years.
UtS!

MansfieldTerrier

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
Interestingly, I?ve never come across any other cigarette/trade card collectors from Bury in all these years.
You're clearly a dying breed, Baz! :D

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »
Why is it that  nobody as yet has taken up the mantle to research these cards or at least list them, where was the company based, the period of issue and the subject matter. Are all the cards sport related or do other topics exist.

Do we know when the company was formed and what were the likely first cards/shields issued am intrigued.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Cedric1812

• Birds, Early USA, Pokemon, UK Tobacco advertising
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 12:47:37 PM »
I think there is quite a bit online about Baines but in terms of listing them all I am surprised more hasn't been done tbh. LDC Auctions have a great page of images of examples and I think there's a huge collection at a museum in Bradford actually. I did meet a chap in Pudsey that was an expert on Baines and Sharpe's but I can't remember his name! I'll ask at the Yorkshire branch this Sunday and see if I can track him down. I was fortunate at the back end of last year to get a Sharpe's shield showing 'Play up America' with a native American buffalo hunt scene on it. It's one of my most prized cards! (I'll do a scan this weekend)
Always interested in buying rare bird cards and general reference material (books, magazines etc.)

Alan

• Football Cartophilic Info Exchange
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
I started a blog display Baines cards and those of his contemporaries, as cards were issued by many, many printers and firms. The list of issuers I have currently stand at 149 and I have scans of around 2,000 cards but I haven't done much research as most of my spare time these days is taken up with my Football Cartophilic Info Exchange blog.

http://bainesfootballcards.blogspot.com/

They cover a range of subjects as well as all sorts of sports - the usual football, rugby and cricket but also bowls, swimming, athletics, netball, hockey, etc.

Some of the better rugby cards come from the 1880's when cards were produced for specific Yorkshire Cup fixtures e.g. St. John's v Dewsbury.

There are plenty of military/boer war subject, royalty, including a superb one of Queen Victoria, politicians, counties of the UK and various members of the Baines family.

Who's online

25 Guests, 0 Users