Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: WHAT DO I COLLECT  (Read 809 times)

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
WHAT DO I COLLECT
« on: April 29, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
NOT BEEN MANY NEW TOPICS OF LATE SO THOUGHT OF THIS ONE FOR EACH PERSON TO GIVE A BREIF MENTION OF THEiR COLLECTION.

I THINK WHAT I COLLECT IS WELL KNOWN BUT IF NOT, ANYTHING THAT WAS ISSUED OR HAS A CONNECTION WITH THE OGDEN'S FACTORY.

If collectors start contributing then will place some photographs on of my recent purchases.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 10:46:46 AM by Ogdenscards »
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

GuineaGoldjr

Re: WHAT DO I COLLECT
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:07:39 PM »
As for me Ogdens Guinea Golds and Tabs.
Started by just collecting one card of each number/type but after a visit to Ogdenscards saw the light and now collect all base variations.
If anyone has an interest in Guinea golds please pursue your interest because they are not as half complicated as they first seem and there is plenty of help on here for new collectors.

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:03:48 PM »
For me Brookebond.Typhoo. Ogdens Tabs. Any Nature/Wildlife/ sets.
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: What do I collect?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 10:24:34 AM »
I collect mainly German cards due to having lived a long time in Germany where they were the easiest ones to obtain.  I suppose that being in France I now ought to try collecting French cards but I don't have any space left to keep them.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

ridgeback

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 10:25:43 AM »
I collect pretty much anything and enjoy the chase of trying to find bargains in auctions,boot sales,and the like.

I'm not keen on spending top money on cards so its like Christmas if I find something  :)

I particularly like Radio related cards

Steve F

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 01:32:52 PM »
Cricket Cards - Cigarette & Trade card production from the late 1870's/early 1880's until approx 100 years later after which the proliferation & sheer number of issues just becomes too much to manage with the same level of "completeness!" Its a fairly significant collection and resides in almost 30 albums (with page configurations of 20/16/12/9/4 & 2 pocket card sleeves). They are sorted chronologically (the best way I know) and along the journey I have added other collectible items - wrappers, boxes, badges, tins etc that also have a cricket theme, but mostly related to the card manufacturers...

The collection has representation of almost every recorded set known to be issued and some from others that haven't been! Its taken two decades of hard work, time & effort chasing down cards to complete sets. It represents a significant chunk of my time and money in the past 20 years, but still brings great satisfaction & interest to me every day.

Without pushing the "personal barrow" too far, I've been told by other Australian cricket cards collectors that it is one of the most significant collections in Australia, so it is comforting to know that others have an appreciation for what I've managed to put together. On top of the collection I have also developed a digital scan database of >30,000 cricket card images, which has helped me to identify rarities, errors and variations and that has also allowed me to grow the collection and identify unusual cards to acquire...

I still have a four page 'Wants List' and am always looking for cards to reduce it.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 05:03:17 PM »
Thats a good response, sort of introduces each other to each other and potentially gives the examples of common collections hope this theme continues.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 09:35:02 PM by Ogdenscards »
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2018, 09:31:14 AM »
the main part of my collection centres on cigarette and trade cards featuring birds, feathers, eggs, nests etc. But I only look at cards issued pre-1970 as I don't find most bird cards issued after that date particularly attractive (just my opinion!).

I do collect anything I like though which I know lots of us do. With that in mind I collect pretty much all cards! I don't tend to go for cricket or sport themed sets but there are some early ones I have on the list. Wills Scissors Footballers, Wills Footballers and Flags etc - they are stunning cards. I also have a pretty large Pok?mon card collection which is always being added to.

I have around 150 sets on my wants list at present (excluding Pok?mon or types I always keep an eye out for). I am keen to get this down this year but its the same old story. For every set I cross off I'll have added another that I want to target...
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

Ogdenscards

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2018, 03:32:57 PM »
Its interesting to see what collectors like, perhaps this may encourage other collectors to participate and contact like minded collectors.

I do like to see different collections and see how they are presented which educates what is out there.

This topic leads me to my next suggestion, but I think I will open a new topic to discuss, it involves the evening of the convention.
Best Regards David

exdrummer

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2018, 04:34:42 PM »
Mainly cricket, military and beauties, particularly the earlier issues, mainly tobacco but some trade. As Sam said above, if I like the card I will collect it.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2018, 09:36:47 PM »
Yes Chris, I believe you have also purchased some really good Ogden's Miniature playing cards
Best Regards David

Heath

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 03:36:35 AM »
Mainly cards I like but have a preference for cricket cards.
Sadly they are often fairly expensive.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 10:42:11 AM »
The cricket cards are certainly a common theme, I take it you all have the cricketers in the Ogden's series, Tabs & Guinea Golds.

What if any cards in particular are you looking for? you never know one collector may have that elusive card.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
Steve F, you certainly seem to have  a very interesting detail and well presented collection, i bet when you find another addition its a bit of an event.
Best Regards David

Heath

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 11:34:28 AM »
The cricket cards are certainly a common theme, I take it you all have the cricketers in the Ogden's series, Tabs & Guinea Golds.

What if any cards in particular are you looking for? you never know one collector may have that elusive card.

The two Wills series of 1896 and 1901 I particularly like. When they are for sale they are usually above my budget though.

Who's online

32 Guests, 0 Users