Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: ABC of Sport tins  (Read 588 times)

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
ABC of Sport tins
« on: May 04, 2018, 11:22:39 AM »
Found and purchased these four tins they are exactly the same as the cards, they are about the size of 5 cigarettes but only mention St. Julien Tobacco as do the cards. No mention of any brand so maybe just for tobacco but only half an ounce I would guess.

There are 25 in the set of cards each depicting a letter, (Y & Z are combined), so I have 4 it is likely that there is another 21 tins out there.

Have asked the appropriate people and no body is aware of them, am awaiting a reply from Barry Russel who may be the best bet but packets are his specialty not tins.

If anybody has seen any or is aware of more information any would be appreciated.

They are defiantly original tins.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

up the cherries!

• Up the cherries!
  • Modern trade, Real Photographic, BAT
Re: ABC of Sport tins
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 04:30:40 PM »
Very interesting David. I have never seen these before, but will keep a look out for you!

exdrummer

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 05:28:05 PM »
Never seen them either, do you think the cards may have been issued in the tins?

Ogdenscards

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:44:54 AM »
I personally think that is a strong possibility, as they would not put another series inside, but would they have the corresponding card?  I do not know. Have asked Gordon Howsden and he is the expert on ITC and he has never seen them before. There may well be a tin for each of the 25 cards.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:47:24 AM by Ogdenscards »
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:54:37 PM »
I've seen "packet issues" but never "tin issues".  You can cut the cards out of a packet with scissors but it's not clear how you would collect the tins.  They would have taken up quite a bit of space after a while.  Over 30 years ago Coca Cola produced a set of tins which formed a large picture if you stood them all together.  I had some in my office for a while but they weren't the sort of thing you could collect in bulk.  To my wife's annoyance I have a load of Heineken bottles issued recently which make up a set but same problem with space.

As you can see which tin you are going to get you presumably wouldn't need to buy more than 25 of them so the incentive to buy more tobacco would be limited.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Ogdenscards

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 04:59:40 PM »
I have not seen packet issues that you cut out of the ABC of Sport, so if you know of any examples please let me know.
Best Regards David

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »
When I said "packet issues", I was talking generally.  Things like Turf slides or Typhoo tea cards.  I have never seen any ABC of sport cards as packet issues. 
Be Bop Deluxe

Ogdenscards

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 09:33:41 AM »
Oh!, I know what you mean now , you got me excited, possible new discovery.
Best Regards David

ridgeback

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 08:06:05 PM »
I found a bagful of tins like this today at the local boot sale..no manufacturer marks but certainly modern.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 09:03:58 PM »
That's an interesting collection of tins.  The cars look to be 1950s but there wasn't a Taddy company then.  The re-registered Taddy company issued a set of cars in 1980 but there were 26 in the set whereas there are apparently only 25 tins.  I've no idea which cars were in the set so no idea whether the cards and tins have any connection.  Maybe someone here knows more about them. 
Be Bop Deluxe

ridgeback

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
The bag had about 80 tins in it,the tins have various cigarette card designs on the front and rear including ABC of Sport, Carreras Amusing Tricks,also loads of Gallaher Trains of the World.
The tins are different and seem to be a duplicate of the cards..
One of the tins has "Collectors tins" written on the rear
Ive done an internet search and cant find them anywhere !

Jediknight

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 10:23:10 PM »
That's an interesting collection of tins.  The cars look to be 1950s but there wasn't a Taddy company then.  The re-registered Taddy company issued a set of cars in 1980 but there were 26 in the set whereas there are apparently only 25 tins.  I've no idea which cars were in the set so no idea whether the cards and tins have any connection.  Maybe someone here knows more about them.

There were 25 Cars in the 1980 set + 1 checklist card to make the 26. The checklist on back of the tin is the same as the checklist for the 1980 set of cards.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Index-Card-Motor-Cars-Taddy-Co-Cigarettes-Card-C144/291736951522?hash=item43ece09ae2:g:ANgAAOSwubRXDhJJ

Jediknight

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »
The bag had about 80 tins in it,the tins have various cigarette card designs on the front and rear including ABC of Sport, Carreras Amusing Tricks,also loads of Gallaher Trains of the World.
The tins are different and seem to be a duplicate of the cards..
One of the tins has "Collectors tins" written on the rear
Ive done an internet search and cant find them anywhere !

Any chance you can post a photo of the ABC of Sport tins & measure the size?

The Taddy tins tie in with a 1980 set so my guess would be that they are all modern tins as you mentioned in an earlier post but as David was convinced the ABC of Sport tins were original, it would be interesting to see if there are any obvious differences between the 2 groups.

ridgeback

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »
Here are a couple of the ABC of Sport tins,quite clearly marked as Collectable tins.

I guess it begs the question were they based on original tins,like the ones David has found ?

I've also uploaded an image of one of the Gallaher tins which is not marked as a collectable tin,its card number 15.

Anyway an interesting find on a rather dreary Devon day,I wish I had asked the bloke where he got them from now, but I presumed I would discover something about them on the net which turned out not to be the case.
Anyway I thought it might add to the discussion,and if anyone knows where they originated from or can find anything on the net about them it would be interesting to know.

Jediknight

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 05:07:44 PM »
Thanks for the photos.

Yes, clear differences compared to David's tins.
At least by marking them all as collectable tins it's fairly obvious they're modern.
I've seen fridge magnets & drink coasters produced with images of cigarette cards (Ogden's A.F.C. Nicknames seems to be a popular subject), but I haven't seen the tins before.

Who's online

23 Guests, 0 Users