Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Withdrawn Barratt Cricket folder 1932-33  (Read 434 times)

Penno55

Withdrawn Barratt Cricket folder 1932-33
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
Barratt & Co Ltd issued a set of 9 Cricket folders for the 1932/33 Australian Tour giving a total of 18 players. However a further unvarnished folder exists of Jardine - Duleepsinhji. It is believed that this folder was withdrawn as the latter player did not join the Tour. How rare is this folder ? Do you have this folder already ? What is its value in VG/Exc condition ?

Penno55

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
Re: Withdrawn Barratt Cricket folder 1932-33
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »
I have no idea but if what you say exists, then would think it is very desirable. The value will increase, especially if you can get the Barrett and Cricket collectors discussing the item.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

exdrummer

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 09:44:19 PM »
I have 5 of these including the withdrawn card. I cannot remember what I paid for it, but given the dealer I bought it from, it would not have been cheap. They catalogue at ?35 each now in the new Murrays, so maybe 2 or 3 times that at least, but I can only guess.

Brian Cricket

• Another cricket card nut!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:02:08 AM »
Just to make matters even worse.......

I have seen at least two of the folders where the portraits on the front are reversed left to right.

Hobbs - Tate as well as Tate - Hobbs
Larwood - Leyland as well as Leyland - Larwood

There may be other folders out there also reversed?

Happy hunting!!

Penno55

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 07:29:00 AM »
Ex Drummer, does your withdrawn folder have the usual fold down the middle or does it appear as though it never went through the process of being varnished and having the fold put in. Just curious as that is how my version is

Penno55

exdrummer

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 02:31:42 PM »
No, mine is neither varnished nor folded. But for the dealer I bought it from being entirely trustworthy I would have been unsure as to whether it was genuine to be honest. In 2 listings I have seen 1 card is listed as Allen-Paynter and the other Paynter-Allen, so perhaps there are more variations about?

Steve F

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »
According to my records, I've recorded 14 of these folders (I have 8 of them) with the subjects known or sighted by me including...

Allen/Paynter (Paynter/Allen), Ames/Sutcliffe, Brown/Wyatt, Hammond/Mitchell, Hobbs/Tate (Tate/Hobbs), Jardine/Bowes, Jardine/Duleepsinhji, Leyland/Larwood (Larwood/Leyland), Verity/Nawab of Pataudi (Nawab of Pataudi/Verity) & Voce Duckworth

It seems likely that, given the additional "reversed" folders (in brackets above) that others may also exist of the remaining subjects, possibly with the exception of the Jardine/Bowes & Jardine/Duleepsinhji cards as these may have been substituted at the time of any additional print run, which may explain when/why the subjects are reversed

Would love to know if any of the others are also known with reversed subjects!

Who's online

25 Guests, 0 Users