Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Cards that predicted the future  (Read 145 times)

card renaissance

Cards that predicted the future
« on: October 27, 2018, 12:36:35 PM »
I like the past but I like the future even better. I've done a YouTube video on some cards that unwittingly seemed to predict the future:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MouCLjqG60Q&fbclid=IwAR0p2EGnMWlScQPG67DVFYGePjJTv1VVsndLLVnniKU-OhMRwDdoIcaCNMo

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: Cards that predicted the future
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 05:26:02 PM »
Looks like you have a good collection of video clips as well  :)  Maybe Elon Musk's Tesla will find some spiders on Mars.  I wonder how those postcard records worked.  I can't imagine that shellac would have lasted five minutes in the post.  Maybe they weren't meant to be posted.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

card renaissance

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:53:30 PM »
Looks like you have a good collection of video clips as well  :)  Maybe Elon Musk's Tesla will find some spiders on Mars.  I wonder how those postcard records worked.  I can't imagine that shellac would have lasted five minutes in the post.  Maybe they weren't meant to be posted.

The ice lolly ad is my favourite. I think I remember seeing a Bowie interview where he described space travel as a metaphor for self exploration. I believe there are some cigarette cards with records on, although I haven't got any in my collection. The shellac does look a bit warped. It would be a bit like a roller coaster ride for the needle :D

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
The ice lolly ad is my favourite. I think I remember seeing a Bowie interview where he described space travel as a metaphor for self exploration. I believe there are some cigarette cards with records on, although I haven't got any in my collection. The shellac does look a bit warped. It would be a bit like a roller coaster ride for the needle :D
I remember when Zooms appeared, and soon after Sky Rays.  Keeping the cards in good condition was difficult when you had to rip the wrapper open.  The cards tended to get soggy anyway.  I don't remember the advert but maybe I saw it without realising.  I don't think Bowie was well-known until Space Oddity in 1969. 

Have you tried playing the postcard records?  It would be interesting to know what's on them.
Be Bop Deluxe

card renaissance

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 09:02:43 PM »
I remember when Zooms appeared, and soon after Sky Rays.  Keeping the cards in good condition was difficult when you had to rip the wrapper open.  The cards tended to get soggy anyway.  I don't remember the advert but maybe I saw it without realising.  I don't think Bowie was well-known until Space Oddity in 1969. 

Have you tried playing the postcard records?  It would be interesting to know what's on them.

Yeah, it must have been a challenge. I bet you remember one of Sir Ridley Scot's other adverts though, the iconic Hovis bread commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dfAk3hxrSM
Bowie's lolly advert came out not long before he released his Space Oddity hit, as if it were smoothing the way for his ascendance.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:09:24 PM by card renaissance »

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 08:04:48 PM »
In 1936 it was just a joke that sportsmen might provide live broadcasts as they were taking part in an event.  Here a Muratti card from a set about the 1936 Olympic games.  Nowadays with helmetcams and things it's quite normal.
Be Bop Deluxe

card renaissance

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 02:49:34 PM »
In 1936 it was just a joke that sportsmen might provide live broadcasts as they were taking part in an event.  Here a Muratti card from a set about the 1936 Olympic games.  Nowadays with helmetcams and things it's quite normal.

It is ahead of its time

Who's online

30 Guests, 0 Users