Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Rookie Charlie Chaplin Trade Card 1914  (Read 118 times)

card renaissance

Rookie Charlie Chaplin Trade Card 1914
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:43:52 AM »
Join me on my search for the oldest Charlie Chaplin trade card in my latest YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLgA91IZxw

IanSammel

• German cards
Re: Rookie Charlie Chaplin Trade Card 1914
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 08:02:40 PM »
That's a lot of interesting research you've done there.  Finding the year when films were released can certainly help pin down the dates when cards were released.  Of course it only gives you the earliest possible date.  It doesn't exclude a card having been printed last week but I think you can generally judge whether a card is old or not.  An ultra-violet lamp helps.  My gut feeling is that the earliest Chaplin card ought to be a US issue without anything o base that on.  Have you checked the Burdick catalogue?
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

card renaissance

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 11:59:05 AM »
That's a lot of interesting research you've done there.  Finding the year when films were released can certainly help pin down the dates when cards were released.  Of course it only gives you the earliest possible date.  It doesn't exclude a card having been printed last week but I think you can generally judge whether a card is old or not.  An ultra-violet lamp helps.  My gut feeling is that the earliest Chaplin card ought to be a US issue without anything o base that on.  Have you checked the Burdick catalogue?

Thanks, I'll give the Burdick catalogue a look. The Movie Card website has got a nice list of early US card issues.  I'm still confident that the Moffat card series is a pretty good contender, especially since it's mentioned in the 1914 Kinematograph Year Book, which probably came out early that year. Chaplin's first film was released in February, 1914. There might be something that beats it by weeks or days but I don't think there'll be much in it. There is a possibility that the Chaplin card wasn't from the card series advertised in the book but both the Sweetmeats and Cinema Dainties formats seem to feature the same film actors and corresponding card numbers, although I haven't got the Chaplin card from the Cinema Dainties series yet.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »
Yes, you're probably right.  If the first film was 1914 there won't be cards of him as a film star before that.  Troy Kirk's lists are probably as good as any as far as film stars go but they may not include sets based on other subjects such as music hall performers or something.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Who's online

26 Guests, 0 Users