Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: What's the best bargain you've had  (Read 4533 times)

admin

• Administrator
What's the best bargain you've had
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:26:16 AM »
Have you bought any unbelievably expensive cards for practically nothing at a car boot sale or auction? Tell us all about your best bargain...

Robin Friday

Re: What's the best bargain you've had
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 11:23:49 AM »
Hello to All ,

I must admit that I haven't had the luck to find anything at our local car boot sales / flea markets etc ,  but I did have a couple of super finds on e-bay and auctions .
These weren't ultra expensive cards but would be considered scarce (i try not to use the rare word) .
The cards cost me a few £'s but I went on to trade them with fellow collectors for key cards in sets that would have meant me spending quite a few £'s to acquire the cards ....and for this I'm etenally grateful to some of our American cousins .

Many Thanks to all concerened (you know who you are) .

snatchley1965

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 11:29:30 PM »
Hello all new member. Best bargain for me has to be 4 charlesworth and Austin cricketers (cat.value 300pounds each)  for $40 from ebay this lot also included other cards worth over $40. Reside in cedar rapids Iowa now originally from county Durham.

Robin Friday

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 06:33:18 AM »
Super pick up Snatchley ....oh and welcome . :)

Mariner tony

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 08:35:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy contributing and picking the brains of the crowd.
One of the best and most unexpected buys in recent times was the Bristol Myers Speed set. It's the same as the Como version. I only saw it with a few minutes to go and won it for around £15.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:39:05 AM by Mariner tony »

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 03:46:45 PM »
Welcome snatchley.

I purchased one like this off ebay for around £40
I guess this makes mine look like a real bargain.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111346006204?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

tygartygar

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 07:54:44 PM »
At bric-a-brac sale, 3 years ago bought a box of cards and pre-war 'stick-in' albums for £3 or so. The cards looked clean (with exceptions!) and I managed about 30+ upgrades to cards I already had and about a dozen that filled missing gaps. Happy with that, I checked through the albums. most of which were of common series as most of us would probably expect.

However, an album of what purported (based on the cover) to be 'Aircraft of the RAF' was empty BUT. within were tucked the complete set of Fry's Days of Wellington, exc/vg except for two (subsequently replaced). Since then I have always checked through such albums on the basis of 'don't judge a book by it's cover'!

Fate being what it is, I have not struck gold (or silver or bronze) since then. :(

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »
Love the Charlesworth & Austin find - what a beauty...

Similarly I purchased a lot of about 60 Cricket cards, just over 12 months ago direct from the US. A contact of mine who knew I was interested in early cricket cards, made the seller an offer on my behalf after we discussed some of the cards available.

They had previously been listed as a BUY NOW Lot on eBay for US$200 and didn't sell!

My contact offered Australian $150 and the deal was done.

I found the original post that had been offered on eBay and realised there were two cards that looked like the very rare Scottish D. & J. McDonald cards (Issued c1902) and awaited their arrival with a heightened sense of expectation.

When I opened the parcel - my eyes hadn't deceived me; there were six McDonald cards, including two W.G. Grace cards!

Better still, one of the Grace cards was unprinted on the reverse side - Can't find any reference to them being produced with Anonymous backs, but either way I had chanced upon six very rare cricket cards, one of which was probably cut from a printers 'Proof' sheet making it even rarer - and all for A$100!!!!

Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

ridgeback

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 02:52:32 PM »
I just had another nice pick up at a local boot sale.

It was a complete set of Sun 3D Soccer star gallery cards from 1972,I noticed one of them poking out of a cigar box so decided to investigate.

I got them for the grand sum of £3   :)

Robin Friday

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 08:42:49 PM »
well done Ridgeback .

2 years ago i purchased the card shown in the rare cards thread .
It was in with a batch of approx 17 or 18 other cards , cost 99p plus £1 or so postage .
An average cost of 12p per card , not bad  i suppose .

ridgeback

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 10:01:32 PM »
Thats a nice card Mark,I quite enjoy the chase and sort of lose interest a bit afterwards  :)

I was pretty pleased to find these ones,I had a quick look on ebay to see if the album was available which it is.

I was trying to see if in the original album the cards were stuck in or if they slipped into a plastic sleeve as they are a pretty big card,noticed the Sun also issued similar sized action cards.
From what I can see it looks like they were stuck in,I must check to see if the rear of these cards has some sort of peelable rear backing or not.

Im not planning to stick them in of course,it looks like they would fit in a first day cover album,or maybe a postcard album for display purposes,not that anyone apart from me will ever see them  ;)

Who's online

34 Guests, 0 Users