Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: brookebond  (Read 7210 times)

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
brookebond
« on: April 05, 2012, 05:28:08 PM »
olympic greats black back reprint set sold on ebay for £122.75 i shall be haveing a look through all my odd sets. never thought it was worth so much.
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

lachlan

Re: brookebond
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:56:25 PM »
Crazy! What condition were they in?

Couple of years ago (2009), LCC were selling type cards from that set in mint condition for around 90p each; that made the set worth £36 then - mint condition. Unfortunately they don't currently have any black back sets, just the green backs at £12 the set.

One Ebay dealer has the black reprint set advertised at £125 in mint condition. Offers are acceptable & as he will normally take offers in the region of 80% that  brings it down to around a cool £100.

bri.d

always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

baystokie

• Birds, cricket, caricatures, scenery (not photos)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:12:17 PM »
I noticed a set going for around £50 a couple of
weeks ago and thought it a 'one-off'. On checking,
another set went yesterday for c£50.

Is this the London 2012 effect?

lachlan

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 07:26:04 PM »
hi .it is in mint condition

He obviously had an idea of its value as his listing price was £50.

bri.d

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 07:30:40 PM »
i all ways thought the black back pryamid power would be the one to fetch decent money in time. never this one. how things change in a few years it was allways the queen elizabeth set £15- £20 but not anymore

bri.d

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »

lachlan

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:12:08 AM »
Not sure what's going on. It's interesting that in both cases the auctions are private listings with the bidders identity being totally protected and therefore one cannot tell just how many bidders there are. There were 4 bids on the Olympic Greats and 11 bids on the Transport Through the Ages, but that would probably include duplicate bidders. Chances are that there were maybe only a couple of bidders chasing the price up. I'd be a bit wary about going out & paying prices at that level.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 02:13:46 PM »
If you look at his feedback, virtually everything he has sold was a private listing.  Very unusual!
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

lachlan

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 02:27:21 PM »
I really don't understand the purpose of private listings. Why does Ebay allow them?

bri.d

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:54:59 PM »
hes had the flags and emblems on twice as a one of the more difficult sets to obtain . unsold both times.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
I really don't understand the purpose of private listings. Why does Ebay allow them?
I don't really understand Ebay's policy at all.  Once upon a time you could see who was bidding on auctions.  Several times I caught people out bidding on their own items and they were duly banned from selling.  Now Ebay has changed the system "to protect the buyer's privacy" and at the same time made it virtually impossible to detect such fraud whilst at the same time crowing about how fair everything is.

They have also introduced an option of selling stuff to the second-highest bidder.  Once upon a time sellers would make a ridiculously high bid which enabled them to find out how much other people had bid.  Then miraculously the buyer had changed his mind and the second-highest bidder was offered the article, for his maximum bid naturally.  All against the rules of course, so why have they introduced an option which makes exactly that so easy?

A cynic might suggest that they want to maximize profit and so let sellers push their own prices whilst minimizing the chances of detecting it.  Keep an eye on how often sellers sell stuff for over-inflated prices and then the next day have the same item back on sale again. Did they accidentally buy their own item?  Of course not, they just happen to have a shed full of them  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:36:31 AM by IanSammel »
Be Bop Deluxe

bri.d

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »
 this is the best brooke bond collection. i have ever seen on ebay. dont think it will sell at this price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BROOK-BOND-A-COMPREHENSIVE-PERSONAL-COLLECTION-/221146510347?pt=UK_Collectables_Cigarette_Tea_GumCards_CA&hash=item337d5bf40b

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »
He won't except returns (sic).  Does that mean he'll accept them then?
Be Bop Deluxe

baystokie

• Birds, cricket, caricatures, scenery (not photos)
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 02:35:14 PM »
The effort he's put into presentation and marketing deserves a few brownie points especially when some of the so-called professional dealers expect you to determine the condition of cards by stating 'see scan'.

Who's online

25 Guests, 0 Users