January 17, 2018, 12:44:04 PM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: Ogden's Wants  (Read 6993 times)

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
Ogden's Wants
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:33:01 AM »
As my user name suggests I collect Ogden's cards and have 27000 different cards. I think there is about 30000 cards in total, so my computer tells me.

I do have the red book published by the society and have learnt most of my knowledge from it.

No doubt there are other collectors out there with the same passion. I would enjoy their contribution. Also would like to talk to some of the contributors to the book with the aim to get copies of the cards I am missing.

I am particularly looking for coloured Guinea Golds & Tabs, Guinea Gold Types, uncut sheets, Miniature playing cards, Tabs without the Labour clause, Tabs unnumbered Sydney issues and many of the usual more difficult cards
Regards David
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
Re: Ogden's Wants
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
except for the normal ogdens card sets, i am completly baffled by the guinea gold and tabs issues.
i nonly have the murrays and lccc catalogues on the ogdens cards, .
i do not have a single card from the tabs or guinea gold.
i wish to find out more about them.
there are many sets, with such titles as general interest, is there such a thing as a reference book that lists all the cards individually , as i would love to get into them, so long as they are in my theme of collecting.

any help or advice from any more longer established collectors would be much appreciated

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
thers a reference book but it doesnt list the cards individually only the unnumberd cards
there could be as many as 20,000 diff guinea golds. god knows how many tabs

ogdens cards is the best one on this subject very very big collection ive been very lucky and seen guinea golds and tabs which a lot of guinea gold / tabs collectors will never see. all i can say is watch were you walk its like a big mine field
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

fossil

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »
could you let me know the title of the book ?
at least i could get a further understanding of the cards, it must be better than the card catalogues

bri.d

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:25:58 PM »
its the ogdens reference book red  think its £20.00 
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

fossil

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:36:01 PM »
do the LCCC sell them ?
i would nomally visit murrays, here in london, but the're closed now

bri.d

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:41:35 PM »
cartophillic society its on this site £20.00

fossil

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:46:12 PM »
ok, thanks i'll have to invest in a book, so at least i should have a better idea.
these ogdens cards to me , are a real puzzle

bri.d

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
they will be when you start

Ogdenscards

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:37:46 PM »
Its good to see a response, yes I can understand why collectors think both Guinea Golds and Tabs are complicated but they are not really. There is a few basic principals and once grasped there's no stopping. For one thing the majority are affordable and are a snap shot of a period approaching 20 years. 1890-1910.

I have now identified 4667 different Tabs but still find that occasional unregistered card.

The red reference book is what I follow but will always need updating with new discoveries.

I have now got 20 uncut sheets of 50 cards and am always on the look out for more as these give a definative answer to what was printed with what. The book lists like cards together which is not always how the cards were printed, but just a convieient way to catalogue the issues.

A good guide is simply the size of the card, you here of people talking about the Bases this simply refers to the writing at the base just under the picture. The cards were no doubtably printed by a number of printers in varying countries, there are many continental actress included

For example if you collect 1-50 in the numbered series you will likely have cards of different sizes there are at least 11 different bases for just these numbers, in each run the cards are almost exactly the same size and are on the same card.

The reference book does not identify the coloured Guinea Golds in detail so my quest is to find as many different ones as I can and publish the result.

I actually collect all Ogden's issues and still have many missing. I was just reading collectors comments on "error" cards" and all the points are valid but in The Guinea Golds you find that some of the personalities were premoted or died and the print runs reflect these changes, in fact with research you can reasonably date the card from the changes. I have done this on numerious occasions eg Baden Powell.

I have had many pleasureable hours sorting GG's and Tabs and its from this which enables you to identify the cards.

If any body needs to ask questions on Ogden' cards please ask.
Regards David
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

fossil

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
i have found this one of the most interesting comments i have read recently.
i do not have any guinea gold or tabs set in my collection, as i have no knowledge whatosever of these card, so when i read of 'base  letter i did not understand at all, from the catalogues.
i intend to make a purchase of the ogdens book soon.
my  theme of collecting is of natural histoory, science, exploration and geography, the field in which work/
im my catalogues, i have deleted all the ogdens sets that refer to actresses, military and sports, except if the sports sets contain subjects such as dogs , horses, or any other natural history subjects used in sport.
many sets have imperial interest , international interest, or denumbered.
has i have no idea of the contents they are still on my 'wants' list until i find out the contents of such sets.
also, as i you say about errors, i do find this an interesting subject, more for the fact that printing waste is regarded as collectable, i do not go out my way to collect errors, but if valid information is included, i then regard it as a collectable item, much like the african wildlife from brooke bond, the british versin set, and the american canadian have totally different text, and being valid information, i collect.
if it is a difference as say, the island of ceylon set, i do belive that there are seventeen different issuers, the only difference being the commodity they were issued in, then i do not collect.

Ogdenscards

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 11:47:43 AM »
I am glad you found my last comment interesting if you want any tips please ask away.

The best way to start as I did, I went to a few dealers and bought all there GG's, you always get a good price that way.. I then had say 1000 cards in front of me and you very quickly can see all the different bases. A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M, you can then notice the
sub differences in bases D,I,M. You get to recognize very quickly when you have the cards to compare them with. If you pick up one card it can be very difficult to identify with out comparison.
The "Bases" are as said before, just the words underneath the picture and apart from some very subtle differences its the "tail" of the letter "g" in the word "cigarettes" that differentiates the different bases. If you get them in front of you you can very easily see at a glance which one is which. Base K & J are a completly different font (squiggly) as some people refer.
When I sort out a large number at first I just box them together as the size of the cards can also aid in the identification for example the largest of the small type cards will be either base "L" or base "I" 
Just buy a few I am sure you will not regret it.
Regards David
Best Regards David

GuineaGoldjr

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
As I said on an earler post it's a case of hands on with GG bases-although a good magnifying glass is a sound investment as the D1s and D3s can sometimes be a little hard to differentiate.
David-when I came to visit you last year you had a GG cataloguing project ongoing-you talk about maybe producing a GG database on cd-how are you getting on with this?
What are everyones thoughts on rarer GGs-for example the DC politicians set-why are 2 of the cards much scarcer than the others.Why were some of the numbered series cards seemingly produced in hundreds of thousands while others only a handful??

Ogdenscards

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:20 PM »
Have most typed up now, but trying to establish what was printed with what and it is not as the book suggests as being sets. I have uncut printed sheets which prove how cards were printed.

The cards on each sheet have the bases exactly the same i.e. all base D2. The Boar war and the actresses are all within one sheet, and using this logic the total number of D2 must be divisible by 50.

By the way on one sheet there are two Queen Victoria's side by side, this would account for the abundance of them.

My next step is to produce a data base that can produce reports and analysis by theme, base, name or anything that will be useful, and ultimately a scan of every card. this will take years.

Do you collect the coloured cards?
Best Regards David

Cityfanbrian

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
Anyone got a spare "Meredith takes a corner" Ogdens cigarette card? I am a keem mcfc card collector.

Just a note of interest. The card "Gillespie on the run" has been identified by a club historian as Billy Gillespie playing for mcfc at Hyde road, Manchester maybe against MAnchester United (Newton Heath). I'm not sure if this is common knowledge or not.

Who's online

24 Guests, 0 Users