March 18, 2018, 01:50:34 AM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: Ogden's Wants  (Read 7236 times)

Re: Ogden's Wants
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 05:36:36 PM »
Hi David

Just looking thru some Ogdens cricketer cards I have in amongst my cards and I am struggling to identify taking up up on your offer. I have 4 plain back cricketers numbered on the front as follows:
C289 Gunn J Notts & Australian Team 1901/2
C271 C Mc Gahey Essex & Australian Team 1901/2
C284 Braund Somerset & McLarens Australian Team 1901/2
C264 Abel Surrey

I believe they are Tabs which are described as GG type as on the front at the bottom it reads Ogdens Cigarettes with the machete reaching back to between the n/s on
My ref book is the green 1949 issue so not the most up to date but struggling to locate them in there.

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 11:21:03 AM »
Hi Penno....your cricketers are in the 1949 65, item 91....General Interest C series, numbered 201-300 on fronts, plain back.
Unfortunately there is no list.
Cheers, K

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2014, 12:22:18 PM »
Yes I think he is right, they will be printing by letterpress as "Tabs" and photographs for the Guinea Gold. The "C" series is a little strange and perhaps a little confusing. It is classed as a General Interest set as that is the series tittle written on all but these plain backed cards. The cards from numbers 301 to 350 on the back states "This series contains 470 photographs" but is only numbered to 350, if you add the numbered 120 cards that have no identifying series, it makes up the numbers to 470.

The first 1-200 have series , number and a description of the subject, numbers 201-300 are plain backs but have the number on the front. You have notice the similarity to the Guinea Gold type with the base, this font is also used on the Green photogravure cards and also the VC hero's. You may have also noticed the base and the cards are the same as item 95 page 65 in your book, well they are the same but item 95 does not have the number on them. The finish on the front is also different they appear to have a glaze on them as opposed to the rest of the numbers.

Am pleased that you are now looking at the clues to identify the cards a little practice and you will be quick to identify which is what.
Hope my explanation covers the differences, it is always easier when you have cards from each series to understand explanations.
Just up to you now to get the rest.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Who's online

19 Guests, 0 Users