Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Brooke Bond ERROR CARDS listed on Ebay  (Read 6345 times)

derek dea

Brooke Bond ERROR CARDS listed on Ebay
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
Although this relates to Brooke Bond tea cards,I suppose it could relate to other cards as well.
I have noticed recently that there are a considerable amount of these cards being listed by a few people on Ebay.
Listed as Error cards, they are cards where the picture and text is not central.
To my way of thinking these are not really error cards, they are just cards that have been incorrectly cut from the large printed sheets.
I have numerous amounts of these cards in my Brooke Bond tea cards collection.
There is one seller stating a card that has text only, no picture, this if true is more than likely only half the print run,
My thinking of an error card is a card that has incorrect text, slight misalignment of colour print etc.not just a slight miscut from the guillotine.
What is the general view as regards these cards

Derek

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
Re: Brooke Bond ERROR CARDS listed on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 01:26:04 PM »
i also agree with this view,
as mentioned several times in my postings.
when printers begin a printing process, much scrap material is sent through the printer, to ensure when the good stock is printed, it is running and printing perfectly.
scrap material can be anything, from previously printed material, different stock card, creased cardsm etc.
occasionally a printer will get one or a few of these sheets included, taken out with the good stock, guillotined and cut to the desired shape..
these types of cards, are just 'scrap' material, and discarded, or used for another pre run.
i really cannot see the emphasis, for card collectors to get over excited over scrap material, as i have mentioned before, some card collectors, and also other collectors of various printings such as stamps or backnotes, seem to get more excited over this scrap material, than the original intended item.
i cannot see the value that collectors want, and even pay for this type of material.
if collectors want scrap  material, they can visit their local printers, and vast amounts of printed waste, would willingly be given to them freely

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 03:32:32 PM »
If the cards in question are error cards most of my Gum collection would be too.

There is another seller selling inverted cards.I would call these error cards.

fossil

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:16:51 AM »
i have been looking at these so called error cards on ebay.
the majority are just so called pre print runs, where for example the printing ink , as not fully covered the printing plate, this happens on most printings, or where the ink as run dry, hence a lighter coloured shade.
this is normality in printing, these sheets are normally discarded by the printer.
are they to be con sidered as a special 'want' by some collectors ?
sometimes a printer may pick up a batch of sheets and invert the batch, hence when the back is printed, it will appear the wrong way, or upside down, once again, is this considered desirable ?
i have often seen also, other sellers, mentioning such things as a broken letter, or blemish, this is caused by a piece of 'crap', by what i have heard my brother, who is a printer, call this, it is just a particle of grit, dirt ar any other particle caught on a printing plate, and is a bane to printers, having to stop the printing proces, just to remove the so calle 'crap'.
these particle cause many different types of error, especially when printing with the trichromatic proces, bring many funny colours or blemishes , and missing portions of the print, they are not collectable, after all, if you purchased a new car, or any other product, , more than likely, you would return it, not pay extra for the privelige of it being a unique or one off error

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:28:29 AM »
i dont think there are to many wot you could call genuine error cards but a new one on me. the sea our other world no 41 with the text of no 9.
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 10:40:29 AM »
Stamp collectors seem prepared to pay ridiculous amounts for misprints.  I've never really understood why.  In the US grading system, a card loses points if e.g. the picture is not well-centred.  From an academic point of view I find them interesting.  For example some German photographic cards lack borders.  If the cutting wasn't exact then cards will have part of the next card on them.  You can then determine how the cards were arranged on the original sheet and reconstruct it.  Assuming you have nothing better to do  :)  I wouldn't pay extra for a card with an error.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »
i dont think there are to many wot you could call genuine error cards but a new one on me. the sea our other world no 41 with the text of no 9.
Interesting.  If the cards were originally arranged on a 5 x 10  sheet and the sheet was run through the press the wrong way around then I would expect card 41 to have the back for card 10 upside-down on it.  I wonder what that tells us about the printing process.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

fossil

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 11:40:56 AM »
i cannot be sure how many images per sheet that the berkshire printing press , that produced much of brooke bond teas cards.
genearlly speaking, the printing press, take much larger sheets than say a card with fifty small images
nuch of my brothers substrates start at about 20 x 30, up to 40 x 60, and have countless images on, which are then guillotined into smaller blocks, only to be re-guillotined even into smaler shapes of the required image.
it is much more economical to print larger sheets to cut down printing time , so to ready the machine for the next job, rather than print in smaller sheets, and take longer.
one of chains of thought is why there should be so much thought about errors in the printing and the desirability in owning such material.
i just like to hear peoples views upon the subject,
although i do not go out my way to collect them, if i have a set of cards, and a very distinctive or notable error or variety, happens to come my way, i would add it into my collection, as an additional item of interest, rather than go out my way to specifically seek them, or to place a greater value on them.
it is very like, years ago when i used to collect stamps, i would actually spend time under a small powered microscope, looking for what philatelists call 'fly specks'
many years after my collection was destroyed, i now sit back and think to myself, 'did i go to that extreme to microscopically find errors, that nobody else but myself could see o r even bother about.
at the end of the day, its just a piece of paper with a printing error

bri.d

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:47:01 PM »
not a error but i dont know why its not listed. the sea our other world text says issued with foster clark products. does any one know any thing about them
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

fossil

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 01:15:27 PM »
when i first started collecting cards, i too was puzzled by this when i first scanned murrays catalogue, but you will find the set listed.
murrays did catalogue the set around £15.
i supose its very much like some of the musgrave card sets with same sets as brooke bond

bri.d

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 01:37:05 PM »
got crossed wired this is a brooke bond set. the sea our other world. the normal set has the text issued with all brooke bond and tea bags.  this one has issued with foster and clark products not seen these before. its not listed on any of the tea card sites

bri.d

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 01:40:57 PM »
got crossed wired this is a brooke bond set. the sea our other world. the normal set has the text issued with all brooke bond and tea bags.  this one has issued with foster and clark products not seen these before. its not listed on any of the tea card sites

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brooke-Bond-Foster-Clark-Malta-The-sea-our-other-World-No-39-/120890118349?pt=UK_Collectables_Cigarette_Tea_GumCards_CA&hash=item1c259cd0cd

Who's online

15 Guests, 0 Users