Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: MURRAY CARDS SHOP CLOSURE  (Read 49778 times)

Bond, Brooke Bond

MURRAY CARDS SHOP CLOSURE
« on: November 18, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
You might all know by now but those who dont Murry Cards are due to cease trading next month and have loads of offers.
Link here: http://www.murraycards.com/index.aspx

Sam Salt

Re: MURRAY CARDS SHOP CLOSURE
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:36:30 PM »
Is it just the shop closing? Will they still publish their cigarette card values book?

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
My understanding is that if they are not selling cards they don't need to produce a catalogue.  However there is the LCCC:
http://www.londoncigcard.co.uk/catalogues.php
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

London Cigarette Card Company

• London Cigarette Card Company
    • London Cigarette Card Company
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 07:15:28 PM »
Thanks Ian for link to our site!

We produce our catalogues every year, we have just produced our 2012 Cigarette Card and Trade Card catalogues.http://www.londoncigcard.co.uk/catalogues.php
We supply collectors all over the world and have one of the largest stocks of cigarette and trade cards – approximately 70 million! Publishers of the first card collecting magazine—Card Collectors News—which has been produced continually since 1933.

Email: cards@londoncigcard.co.uk

Robin Friday

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:20:25 PM »
I believe Murrays will still be running their popular auctions and selling their rarer cards through the web site , but as already stated theres always the wonderful  L.C.C .
Keep up the good work guys (Murrays &t he L.C.C)

joeD

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
It looks like the January auction will be their last auction (according to their website).

I've watched or bid in their auctions for a while now.

So.... what auctions should I look forward to now that Murray's is no longer an option?

IanSammel

• German cards
Be Bop Deluxe

joeD

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
Thank you Ian.

I think I am going to miss Murray's - but I will be sure to check the ones mentioned in the thread you posted.

Gum man

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:28:30 PM »
 :)  Check out Murrays site next Tuesday a big announcement is to be made with regard to the future of the Catalogue 

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
I just looked at Murray's website and they claim to have amalgamated, although it's not clear who with.  They will apparently reopen in Spring.  I don't know what they'll be selling as they have just got rid of their stock.  Doubtless all will become clear in time.
Be Bop Deluxe

Oysterman

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
An interesting development. It would have been a shame for Murray's to have disappeared altogether.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:21:28 AM »
I wonder if this is significant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corgi_International#Cards_Inc.
(Look at the bit about Cards Inc if it doesn't automatically jump there)
Be Bop Deluxe

Tony

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
Having looked at the announcement on Murray website it appears to me that a new company may have been formed, Murray Cards Ltd, and these are amalgamating with Murray Cards (International) Ltd and reopening as a new company.
When it comes to the cards themselves dealing mainly with valuable old cigarette cards.
Previous to the present mentioning on the website, I cannot find Murray Cards Ltd mentioned in any literature issued by Murray Cards (International) Ltd.
Considering that much of, at least, the low cost Murray stock appears to have been sold, I would possibly have expected the market to be flooded just now with issues that are mid to low priced but reasonsably rare to find for sale.
It doesn't apear to have happened. Or at least it hasn't yet where one might expect to purchase good quality cards and sets at costs well lower than the market value. It appears as buoyant as it has been and established dealers do not appear to be willing for the mid price card sets they have for sale to be released for sale at lower cost.
For me, the market is Ebay and I find it surprising how that market appears to be as buoyant as it has been since we found out Murrays might close for good.   

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 01:47:40 PM »
The dealer that purchased most of Murray's Gum card stock has been very busy listing it on Ebay.In most cases higher than their catalogue price.

Tony

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
Hello Captain Pugwash,
Yes.I have noticed that too.

I would guess that supply and demand are the ultimate arbiters of cost but surely that played some role in Murrays being able to
set card values and wouldn't that have been partly based on what known quantity of uncirculated stock that was held for any card or card set?

I do wonder how values will be set in the future when presumably much uncirculated stock is not now held in reserve by the institutions setting the values.

Who's online

38 Guests, 0 Users