Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: A new Yank  (Read 2180 times)

captkronos

A new Yank
« on: April 03, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm very new to collecting.  My other hobby I picked up a couple years back is making toy soldiers.  In the course of research I eventually happened upon Player's "Military Uniforms of the British Empire Overseas".  I love the detail on those illustrations so I recently acquired my set, though I think it is a couple shy of being complete.  I've also obtained Player's "Regimental Uniforms", "History of Naval Dress", "2nd Series Polar Exploration", and one lonely Piedmont Baseball card.  I'm happy to find I'm not the last soul on earth who loves these things! Can anyone advise on the first set I mentioned if there was more than one series? Thanks.
-James
P.S. I almost forgot my new set, in the album, it is an "Alva Bilder"?  German military uniforms from the Middle Ages up to 1914.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 12:50:43 PM by captkronos »

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
Re: A new Yank
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 01:24:56 PM »
Hi Capt.

I too have this set (Military Uniforms of the British Empire overseas), it was one of the first I purchased about a year ago now. Its a set of 50 cards and if you are short of any of the 50 you should be able to pick up the missing ones easily enough on EBay and you shouldn't have to pay too much either. Players also did a set called Uniforms of the Territorial Army, which takes the British Army uniforms from the Guild of St George in 1557 right up to Infantry T.A. 1939
The set is a mix of dress and field uniforms and a valuable resource to anyone interested in British Army uniforms. There is also a series of books that deals with various British regiments depicted on Cigarette cards.

If you think you are short of any of the set tell me which numbers and I will post them tothe gallery so you can see them.

Welcome to the forum and dont be shy everyones input is very welcome, and valuable.

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »
P.S. I almost forgot my new set, in the album, it is an "Alva Bilder"?  German military uniforms from the Middle Ages up to 1914.

Hi James,

welcome to the forum.  It sounds like what you have is "Fahnen und Standartedtr├Ąger" (flag and standard bearers) issued by the Yosma company with Alva cigarettes.  There are two sets of these.  Going by the dates, it sounds like you have the first set.  Quite a few sets of uniforms were issued in Germany in the 1930s.  They're very good as reference for painting toy soldiers.

I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

captkronos

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 09:48:27 PM »
Yes, that's the one!  The cards are beautifully illustrated.  More reference material than I could ever actually use in my modeling efforts.

Who's online

11 Guests, 0 Users