Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: an explanation  (Read 2178 times)

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
an explanation
« on: April 06, 2013, 01:56:31 AM »
firstly, i would like to thank the five members that appealled form e, via personnel message or through the comments, to remain a member and still contribute to this forum.
most of the regular members by now, know of my annoyance, to members that join, yet do not contribute to this forum.
around one hundred members that have joined have contributed nil to this forum.
despite the various reasons, many members give, i still cannot understand, why someone can go through all the procedure of filling in details, yet never add anything to the forum.
if all comments can be viewed by any non member of the public, why bother going through the procedure at all, to join yet never make no comment ?.
it is not about members that may make very few comments, after all, the highest veiwed article, and the article with the highest replies, was mmade by a newbie, that has only made one post..
thats all it takes, one post, that should be expected by every member that joins, make one post, and who knows where it will go ?
over the last year of me being a member, i have enjoyed every comment that i read, and leart so much about themes that i know so little about.
i know that sometimes i may appear as an irritant in my views, but i have taken some knowing that it will get replies.
i am a strong beleiver of lateral thinking, and try to challenge views, that it may open up further discussions.
after all, if i was driving a lorry along a cliff edge, and going in a straight line, all the passengers would sit back in their seats totally relaxed, yet if on purpose i pretended toveer the lorry towards the clif edge, probable a half dozen passengers would jump up to grab the wheel and it to safety..
over the year i have been on here, i have often brought this to the forefront , about lack of response by new members, yet nothing ever seems to be done by the originaters of this forum, to get more members join in ?
the website pages have been updated, and more appealling, yet nothing is still yet done to get more contributions.
as in my last comment, i mentioned around a dozen members make regullar comments.
what exactly would happen to this forum, if all the dozen members that make comments refused to contribute for a complete month ?
i would like to know what would happen, would it just stagnate and die.
i am not being offensive, but the originators of this forum, show little fight to get this forum getting more posts ?
i said my last post would be my last, .
it seems as if the founders of this forum, would rather let a regular commenter fall upon the sacrificial sword, rather than go out there way to let him stay, by trying to entice new comments from members that do not join in.
if this is their view, no fight to gain new voices, whilst letting a regular commentator go, than that is how it is to remain with me from now on.
to be one of the many members that only read comments rather than make them.
i feel kike this, i know wolfie at the begginning of the year, felt like quitting, until several members appealled to him to stay, also, reading exdrummer, and about the lack of response he got  seems quite disheartening.
something urgently must be done to this forum, to keep members, rather for them to turn away from here

ridgeback

Re: an explanation
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »
Honestly Fossil I dont think this forum is a lot different to many clubs..its always the same,a few make the effort whilst the rest of the members sit back.

As I mentioned in a previous post its not uncommon to find a low percentage of members of a forum actually post in it,this can be for lots of reasons,and not always because they cant be bothered.

I cant really see what the site owners can reasonably do to make people post...they either want to join in the discussion or they dont....

Its certainly great that there are a core of posters who are prepared to share what they know and help newer collectors..its also a shame that there are doubtless many experienced collectors who look at the posts but decide not to share their knowledge,however that really is up to them.

I enjoy the forum,I learn a bit..actually come to think of it I learn quite a lot !

Oh..and thanks to all the recent posters of card images,I really enjoy looking at them,.

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
I totaly agree with ridgeback on this. I have always enjoyed this forum, truth be told its maybe the only one where I have been made welcome and felt that my opinion counts towards the whole.

I do understand Fossils frustration, but I remember when I was active in my local community I used to get wound up by the same faces doing stuff and the majority enjoying the labour we put in. A councillor once said to me "Its the few that do the most for the many, while the many complain that nothing is ever done."
That is a sad fact of life. Now way i see it is this is our forum, if the admin hadnt set it up we wouldnt have the forum, but they did and we have. So it is up to those of us who want to see it thrive and survive to keep the posts fresh and the discussions lively.

Maybe an answer to Fossils situation is for someone to sens a personal welcome to each new member as and when they register. That way they will feel included from the off, if they are pointed towards the new discussions or the gallery and asked to post then maybe just maybe a few will be motivated to do so.

So I do hope you keep posting Fossil, after all if your not one of the few then your one of the many and who wants to be a sheep.

Mariner tony

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:36:31 PM »
Like Wolfie, I hope you continue with your posts Fossil. I find them entertaining, your criticisms often justified and enthusiasm infectious.

Robin Friday

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:02:47 PM »
I post on an American forum that possibly has hundreds of registered members ...maybe thousands (who knows) but the main contributions came from only a small % of the number .

This is just the way it is and the forum has continued to entertain and educate card enthusiasts for going on 10 years , most people join and lurk and  it doesn't make them less of a card collector just less of a forum contributor .

This forum is still in it's infancy and we're finding our feet , I guess a fall and stumble should be expected but we'll all soon be up and running with Fossil and the rest of the crew leading the charge .

Who's online

10 Guests, 0 Users