Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: hijacked again  (Read 7393 times)

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
hijacked again
« on: April 25, 2013, 04:08:48 PM »
once again, this forum seems to have been hijacked by a new member, simply as a free tool to sell their items, rather than go through ebay.
around five or six topics have ben deleted this afternoon, by the administrators, and still, the member seems to ignore, asnd still post new items for sale, as though thinks that everyone on here will be fighting each other to purchase the sets for sale.
most sets for sale, are fairly common, and most established collectors, such as that frequent this site, will already have most sets, or esily purchased from ebay at £10 or less per set.
is there not a way, that prior to a member posting, that there could be a screening process, so that genuine collectors can discuss topics , without being hijacked by sellers that have no interest in the hobby, other to make a sale for themselves ?

oliviaslittletreasures

Re: hijacked again
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:15:38 PM »
What a horrible comment!

I thought I was so lucky, after desperately searching for some education on cigarette cards, that i finally came across this site - 'A friendly forum for cigarette card and trade collectors' I thought I would be welcome. Being a novice at this and only starting through inheriting my grandfathers collection i thought this would be the best place to inquire. Yes there are ones we are wanting to sell,  but there are also sets we want to finish and collect for him, he was obviously very passionate about collecting cigarette cards and have kept all of his cards in lovely clean condition.. I did think the page sell Cards / sets for sale would be the best place to ask whether any of the sets are useful to any of the other lovely collectors on here. So where have i gone so disastrously wrong?

I find it obvious that you personally do not welcome newbies to this, and such a derogatory message is not welcome. I have also spoke to some really kind and pleasant users on here which have been a great help to my search!

Such a shame a friendly and helpful site is actually tarnished by the attitude of what i presume is one of the longest service members.

Robin Friday

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »
fossil , do you mean oliviaslittletreasures or has there been other people requesting cards ?

Robin Friday

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 05:17:05 PM »
I see a reply has been posted .

fossil

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 05:36:15 PM »
no dant melys, admin has already deleted around half dozen today

baystokie

• Birds, cricket, caricatures, scenery (not photos)
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 06:06:11 PM »
I must say that dear old (maybe not old?) fossil can come across as a bit of an esoteric elitist, obviously interested in his own range of subjects but slightly intolerant of lesser collectors or those of minimal experience. However, this is not HIS forum and as such, if his sensitivities have been offended, he has the choice of not reading those posts.

Even I, as a collector of 20+ years, have little or no interest in the minuitae of Guinea Golds or the intricate printing variations on the front or rear of Gum cards BUT they have their place on here, albeit not for me. A number of forum members have an interest in 'research' (whatever that may mean) - fine and may their endeavours be rewarded BUT again of total disinterest to me. Similarly, an educational aspect is sometimes espoused - I accept this as an occasional bonus but I never look at my cards as some encyclopaedia. So these posts I pass over without complaint.

I should hate this 'friend;y foruem' to take on an air of pomposity and self importance - there's room for EVERY level of collector and they should be encouraged to participate in whatever manner they see fit.

I'll leave it there as I do not wish to be seen as equally censorious of others.

fossil

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »
so lets try to understand this ?
if admin, today, has seen fit to delete around half dozen of her posts today, does that mean he too, is wrong ?
they must have been deleted for a reason.
the person named is an ebay member, and sells on ebay.
this forum is not a free platform for selling, as we might as well make it an open book for anyone wanting to seel all their cards.
as the seller mentioned in one of the deleted posts, she is selling her grandfathers collection to save for her wedding. no problem with that, but i would question myself, idf as no sooner had i posted an item, it was deleted, than probably i had done something wrong for it to be deleted in the first place.
i would not go to ebay to research information on cards, printings atrtists and such, i come to a forum much like this, and likewise, if i want to sell, i go to ebay or ebid, or other similar auction.
today was one of those rare days, that i have a day off work, and viewed this forum sev eral times, so seen what has been happening. hence my comments

Robin Friday

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 08:56:11 PM »
this might be a good point for Admin or the Mods to show themselves so this topic can be sorted and moved on from .

oliviaslittletreasures

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:07:26 PM »
I kept posting as there was nothing wrong in my posts to ban?? So i wasnt going to back down to stubborn bullies like you who feel they can dominate sites like this.
Lets just have a quick tally of all the members on here who use Ebay? I have read so many different topics on different subjects related to cigarette cards on this website this afternoon, and even some of the more senior members still refer to Ebay and point you in that direction and have even posted links to items for sale on ebay...why have these not being deleted?
I get it now, if you have other personal interests...such as an Ebay account...which many of the member on here suggest where you take your cards...you can't be a member! This is for cigarette card collectors ONLY.
Brilliant Ethos for this site! If you have actually taken the time to ask me about my ebay, my account you would of seen my feedback on Ebay on what i have bought and sold! But, wait there i will tell. In in the past two months I have only sold my grandfathers postcards, before that i have bought wedding shoes! I have also sold many of my clothes to also fund my wedding, along with my prized beyonce tickets! All in the name of a ... business? No A personal account with a feedback of 187, not a commercial user or business just personal! Thanks again for your kindness and politeness in welcoming newbies, may YOUR site continue to build and thrive!

Any others i have just unearthed
WILLS Strange Craft
WILLS - Ships 1895 and
WILLS Coronation Series

That's friendly for you!

oliviaslittletreasures

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »
...and a quick look at the topics on the cards / sets for sale board, nearly everyone mentions, links or advices their sale on Ebay, but hey ho!

Internet trolling by the older generation, who'd of thought it!

baystokie

• Birds, cricket, caricatures, scenery (not photos)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 12:21:37 AM »
so lets try to understand this ?
if admin, today, has seen fit to delete around half dozen of her posts today, does that mean he too, is wrong ?
they must have been deleted for a reason.
the person named is an ebay member, and sells on ebay.
this forum is not a free platform for selling, as we might as well make it an open book for anyone wanting to seel all their cards.
as the seller mentioned in one of the deleted posts, she is selling her grandfathers collection to save for her wedding. no problem with that, but i would question myself, idf as no sooner had i posted an item, it was deleted, than probably i had done something wrong for it to be deleted in the first place.
i would not go to ebay to research information on cards, printings atrtists and such, i come to a forum much like this, and likewise, if i want to sell, i go to ebay or ebid, or other similar auction.
today was one of those rare days, that i have a day off work, and viewed this forum sev eral times, so seen what has been happening. hence my comments

Admin have to be very very careful of what they delete/ban - if they are going to be the arbiter of what is right/wrong, then they need to define very clearly what is -non-grata'. Each of us can then decide if this is a forum of which we wish to remain a member

fossil

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 12:30:42 AM »
so who is wrong?
the seller that has put up posts to be banned ?
admin for deleting them ?
or i, for discussing that someone has used this platform as selling post ?

oliviaslittletreasures

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 07:03:12 AM »
How do you expect to find new collectors and enthusiasts of cigarette cards if every new member that shows interest you speak in such a horrible manner, obviously trying to scare them off the site.

No reference to how many of the members, both senior and new, are Ebay users on here?

No reference about your lovely internet trolling?

No reference to why other posts referencing and linking to their posts on Ebay have been deleted?

I seem to be repeating myself, im not a business in disguise, just a grand daughter with an interest in my grandfathers cigarette cards, and after months of searching the internet for a site with what would contain expert knowledge to help me!

So please Fossil, as it appears you know all the do's and dont's on this site, tell me where I have gone so disastrously wrong?

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 07:20:34 AM »
Now come on children lets grow up hey , all your looking at is words on a screen no one is pointing a gun to your head or invading your living room Its a forum for All intrested in the subject matter You look you browse if it intrests you you read more if it doesnt you move on
Freindly Forum is the word let us make it stay that way

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 08:32:23 AM »
This is getting out of hand folks, you all know my views on sellers on this site and i believe admin are right to delete any new member posts who jump straight on and start to advertise cards. The forum is about discussing cards and helping each other out in the various aspects of collecting. That includes posting links to EBay or whatever, as well as passing on information to each other about auctions, books, what we have bought or found this week etc. etc. etc.

I did state some time ago that it was getting stupid the amount of sellers who had found grandads cards and wanted to sell them if anyone was interested. We were getting bogged down by such posts, and Admin has reacted positively to that problem.

I believe that this is a forum for collectors to discuss the hobby and its many aspects, regardess of why we got into it or how we see our personal collection, and not as a rival to EBay or cheap way to sell our stuff and avoid costs. If we want a sales part then I am sure that can be added and sellers agree to a fee to be passed on to the Admin team, after all it will cost someone to keep this forum up and running.

So can we run a poll to see if the members want a sales section, and if we do can it be done in a manner where by a fee is charged to help withthe admin? Or if the members vote no can we please support admin on stopping folk trying to sell?

Just an idea.

Who's online

22 Guests, 0 Users