Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: hijacked again  (Read 6791 times)

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
Re: hijacked again
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
as wolfie quotes, and i too at previous posts,how many new memb ers join, and have found their 'grandparents' cards ?
its happened around a dozen or so time, and thats the last that is ev er heard from the members.
probably all memb ers have ebay accounts, i do myself, with two and half thousand feedback, but i never try to sel on here, its a discussion board for all aspects and interest in cartophily.
yes!, i was negative about this seller, but the seller never posted any interests in cards, or wishing to find out any more about collecting, only half dozen posts, all of lists of cards wishing to sell.
only after they were deleted did posts come in about any sort of interest.
if the seller has any interest in cards, i would certainly go out of my way to assist in any help they need.
time i have tried to find out for new collectors on sets of cards, on subjects i do not collect, i have sought out information on football cards, cricket cards, military cards, cards that are way out of my scope of collecting, but i have endevoured to seek out information about subjects to assist new members.
i did not regard the member, posting half dozen posts of card for sale, as a potential member that wanted to join this forum, except with the hope of getting a bit of money out of keen collectors, and avoiding paying ebay sellers fees.
if the seller is genuine and wish to stay a member, lets see in around six months time, and if still posting, asking for information on cartophily, this will prove me wrong, i wish it will prove me wrong, and i would certainly apologise in any wron g i have seen to have caused.

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 04:13:09 PM »
I have just read all of these comments and am appalled at how a newbie has been "welcomed". So what if they want to sell there grandparents cards, 99 times out of a hundred may be extremely common but you never know.

No matter what the newbie has said or done blatant rudeness should not be allowed.
You cannot just switch on an interest in cards it manifests and grows by accumulating information from sites such as this.

I did not see comments that have been deleted but from the good English of the newbie I would hardly see it to be offensive. unlike some of the other comments I have just read.

I enjoy seeing what granddad collected.
If the newbie wants some help contact me via personnel messages.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Ogdenscards

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 04:41:21 PM »
Perhaps this site could be improved to accommodate selling more. As I said before I like reading what granddad collected but clearly not all, so perhaps the selling of the cards need not be presented in the manor it is, and have a separate section accessed from the ribbon bar at the top. Even to the extent that membership is not compulsory.

I do enjoy trailing through what is for sale.

Perhaps some guide for the newbies could be offered to encourage comment. Or at least give them the choice of what to do if they want to dispose of Granddads collection. Remember 99% of cards came from granddads collections.

You cannot criticize anybody for marketing what they have for sale.
Perhaps "newbie" you dominated the discussions by your method but that's not your fault

Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

oliviaslittletreasures

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 05:29:32 PM »
Thank you ogdenscards, that is exactly right! Cigarette cards are that of the past - its more match attacks now - but hey maybe in 100 years there will be people collecting these.

I never even knew about these cards until recently and quick became interested in his collection. They obviously meant alot to him by how he treasured them, keeping them so pristine. I innocently thought the best place to enquire and offer the cards would be to collectors as i thought that's where they would be appreciated more.

I did not know that the cards ranged so much in value and rarity until i came across this site. If cards i had posted and rubbish please say but i am completely new and learning. Even in the past few days ive come across complete sets of his that arent just the run of the mill, commonly produced. Some of the incomplete sets i have fallen in love with, i already have a fascination with Boer War so would be desperate to complete some of his sets.

Sorry for offence caused in my way of listing during the 3 hours i was on the site, it appears to be a great site for the members who joined from the beginning, but not for newbies to card collecting like me.

Thanks for the 24 hours ive been a member, and good luck to all the collectors in completing your sets!
Olivia

Ogdenscards

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
The card sets you have posted are not "rubbish" just not valuable apart from a few.
Most of the cards if not all come from the twenties and thirties and can be quite prolific in numbers.
The players military set had 50,000,000 sets printed more than the population so you can see how common they are.
Now Boar War cards and that era have more of an attraction. You may have some Guinea Golds easily identifiable, as they are photographic.
Have emailed you so if you require some help just ask.
Best Regards David

oliviaslittletreasures

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 05:45:53 PM »
I have come across some lovely cards that appear to be glossy real photo's - not printed images! These truly are beautiful! I will have to keep looking and searching!
Olivia

Ogdenscards

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
Just another point - beginners or the uniformed seem to think that the cards must be in sets to get maximum value. Dealers tend to break up sets to sell individually but this does generally apply to the more valuable.

The photographs are they "Senior Service"? They to are common but are great to look at and these often come in their albums, from the late 30's
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:15:10 PM by Ogdenscards »
Best Regards David

john62henry

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
I have just read all of these comments and am appalled at how a newbie has been "welcomed". So what if they want to sell there grandparents cards, 99 times out of a hundred may be extremely common but you never know.

No matter what the newbie has said or done blatant rudeness should not be allowed.
You cannot just switch on an interest in cards it manifests and grows by accumulating information from sites such as this.

Well said,Fossil THINK before you bite,Anyhows you have made me post :)

Ogdenscards

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 06:13:36 PM »
That made me laugh, come on tell us what you collect your are on a roll.
Best Regards David

admin

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 08:17:01 PM »
The 'for sale' section of the site is there for members to be able to sell each other cards and other items without incurring ebay fees. It is not for commercial organisations or individuals to make use of for their own purposes.

The facility to sell items through this site is a privilege not a right and is entirely at the discretion of the administration. If we feel that someone is abusing this facility we will remove posts from this section.

If the member concerned had made a worthwhile contribution to discussions on the site for a time before putting items in the 'for sale' section we would probably not have removed them.

As it was, she flooded the 'for sale' section with merchandise the moment she joined. The conclusion we drew from this was that the only interest she has in the site is as a form of advertising to flog her wares.

It is my feeling that it would be beneficial to members to have a place on the site where commercial organisations and individuals could sell their cards to members. This would be kept separate from the main discussion part of the forum and naturally the sellers would pay for the privilege. I am working on the best way to arrange this and when I have worked out the details I will make an announcement.

In the mean time members who have a track record of contributing to the site are welcome to advertise items for sale in the 'for sale' section of the site with the proviso that posts will be removed if the administration feels that it is in the best interests of the site to do so.

Geoff

fossil

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 09:28:32 PM »
i hope this reply by admin, clarifies my comments about being hijacked.
being an idle day yesterday, i to was on this forum for several hours, and  watched as post after post came in.
my first reaction, was that once again, this website had been pirated or hijacked by some unscrupulous person, whose sole aim, was to sell cards, and by pass any ebay fees.
some members say that they are appalled on how a newbie is treated ?
the newbie at the time did not seem to be a collector, only someone that joins just to make a quick sale.
some members feel fine with this, but it angers me, as when i want to purchase i go elsewhere and not this forum for discussions.
this forum on two previous times , have been swamped with members that have signed up in multiple names, and tried selling electrical goods.
should that member too , who signed up in multiple names that try to flood this forum with electrical goods, be allowed to stay a member and advertise their ware ?
seeing how things were going on yesterday, the member posting article after article, despite posts being deleted as soon as put on, that is how i took it.
when new members do join, and they have queries on sets, i try my best to see if i am able to help, and go out my way to find information upon subjects i have little understanding, but the seller did not seem genuine to me, with tha amont of deleted items.
as admin memntions, if the member had introduced herself correctly , that not only do they have items for sale, as well as having an interest in cards that they wish to keep, perhaps this would have got on better than the way it has turned out.
lets keep this forum for discussions and information selling, and possibly get rid of any item that is put up here for sale.
probably it would be better for no selling on here at all, if a seller wishes to sell, give a direct link to their ebay , in which they have items for sale, rather than i direct selling through this forum.
that would solve many problems from people with no interest in the hobby, and join , with the hope of making a sale on here

oliviaslittletreasures

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 09:36:13 PM »
I was typing another long reply, repeating my previous comments but i am not getting into a horrible attacking online rant in which you seem to want to engage in.

I was a new member 24 hours ago, didn't know the rules, had a box of over 30 albums in front of me which i needed help and advice with. I thought that was the best topic board to start on. I am sorry if that has offended you or made you assume i am here under several different names to flog electricals?!?

Likewise to Admin, when members are accepted a brief message on rules and regulations would be brilliant, to stop the more long serving members jumping to conclusions and resulting to being an internet bully.

Thanks Again
Olivia

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 03:01:18 PM »
at first i thought fossil was out of order. but a little search on ebay. has changed my mind.  fossil is right it what he said.
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

fossil

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 03:33:53 PM »
thank you bri.d for putting that on.
several members have jumped to her defence, without seing the half dozen posts she made.
each post had around fifty or sxty sets for sale.
i am considered the 'cyber bully' here and people have been appalled on how she has been treated.
i did not ask or request her posts to be deleted, is admin as guilty as i ?
that is at least two of us that did not consider it right for these posts.
probably her cards are good, she goes on about how her grandfather loved thes cards, but considering how she managed to put up almost two hundred sets for sale, shows scant regard for her grandfathers card.
only after her posts were deleted, did additional posts come in as if she has sets she cherishes, and wishes to gain more knowledge on, such as the set, the 3 jovial golfers.
by reading her posts and how several has tried to help her find out more knowledge on this set, really surprises.
i see no real interest, as if you readers care to look, admin forgot to delete one of her early posts, and the 3 jovial golfers, is one of the sets she wants to sell.
dont seem like someone that really cherish her grandfathers cards.
before judging me, without seeing what was posted, ask admin.
i just felt that she was using this forum as a cheap way of selling without paying sellers fees.
probably if you look at her ebay page, she is probably selling what she seems to hold so dear.
if any of you disagree, with my views on this, this is up to you, but as far as i see, i thingk we were being duped by this new member

bri.d

• britians .diecast. cigarette & brooke bond cards
always looking for unlisted. brooke bond cards. albums. order forms. canadian dinosaur reprints. spyfile cards

Who's online

27 Guests, 0 Users