Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: selling on this forum  (Read 3393 times)

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
selling on this forum
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:10:29 AM »
admin, not sure if all members read your reasons why you deleted items yesterday, but i thought some of your ideas useful, such as keeping selling seperate from the main forum.
but i propose a new idea, and hopefully prevent established members becoming divided, by arguments and disagreemts.
many members and future members have valid ebay and ebid accounts.
if a member wishes to sell an item, why not advertise on here, that they have an item for sale, but sell the item on ebay , ebid or other auction site.
they could give a link to their item they wish to sell.
this would stop future members joining just to sell on here but go through an official auction website.
if no link is given to the item they wish to sell, as you mention , the post on here is deleted.
this would free up this forum, for valid discussions and research on cartophily, rather than cause animosity amongst members!.

Robin Friday

Re: selling on this forum
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:54:34 AM »
I wonder how many card sales have taken place through these forum pages .
Anyone 

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 11:38:33 AM »
Not as many as there should be . As you can see I placed an Subject on If you don't want to buy cards don't look. It now has 25 views over night and will probably have more so clearly votes against  showing cards for sale are in the minority.

Cannot see the frustration of anybody marketing or researching there cards to me it is a large part of the attraction on this forum and if lost we will be the worst for it.

The cards that lady had were excellent cards and her questions were good and valid.
No wonder newbies don't contribute if all they get is abuse if that is allowed to continue I'm done.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Robin Friday

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
Hi David , glad to see the birthday bash went off well .

I'm unsure if the forum debate on the Fossil/Olivia kerfuffle thread is about if the  selling of cards should go ahead or not but rather when and how is the best way of  moving forward in trading and selling cards within the CCC.com community .

I'm sure many have views and opinions on how to achieve this goal , should there be a polite encouragement for posters to introduce themselves before posting any sale requests or their posts in the sales section  will removed until they do so .
Should new members have 10 posts under their belts before the privilege of using this forum facility is allowed .
Or should things stay the same ?

We're up to approx. 240 members now so I guess we'll receive x number of replies from 6 or 7 posters .
I hope the new members / non posters have some thoughts on this matter .

Any opinions and  ideas welcomed , c'mon it's the best thing you'll get for nothing . Lets keep it friendly as we all have the same aim at the end of the day .

Have a good weekend everyone .
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 12:18:19 PM by dant melys »

wolfie

• Military Silks, Military, SciFi Trade.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 12:34:50 PM »
I think admin answered the reasons behind the deletion of the sales posts, in that no other contribution had been forthcoming and so it appears that the whole reason behind joining was to sell.

It was also stated that if folk contribute to general discussions then there is no problem in trying to sell your wears on this forum. That as far as I am concerned is a good position to take, post x number of times get your status on the site up to a certain level then your welcome to sell.

As for the Fossil/Oliva thread it was two persons who were taking opposite views and it opened up a debate, one that was needed and one that will hopefully make the site a better one. After all our whole democracy and legal system is based on confrontation. That way laws are made and countries reach a consensus that benefits the majority.

So for me I will take the point of view that unless you have posted 10 times in other areas then you should have any sale posts deleted. It doesn't take long to reach 10 posts after all.

baystokie

• Birds, cricket, caricatures, scenery (not photos)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »
'Everybody's view has equal validity so I resolve not to castigate(?) anyone!
However on fossil's point on 'valid discussion and research on  cartophily', my response is from a personal angle.
1. 'Cartophily' and 'valid discussion' suggest an academic approach to card collecting, issuers, printings, etc. - Not for me as I just collect what visually interests me, hence my collection is wide, varied, eclectic(?) and on unrelated subjects.
2. Research - see my feelings above at 1.
3. As regards posts that don't interest me (eg Guinea Golds, Gum cards) - I click on past
4. If I can't tell what the thread is about - have a look and continue or go to 3. above

I realise everyone probably gets something different from their hobby and that's the charm of it.

Selling - either leave things as they are and ignore if not interested; a separate section;  insist on the word Sale or Selling preceding the thread title though the latter does carry the risk of sneaky sales contained within replies (which can also be ignored if found)

Let's not be too prescriptive, the fewer barriers we erect between experts, generalists and newbies the better -- I welcome all and everyone who has a card topic. I must admit that my experience of Societies and clubs is that some of the older and more experienced collectors do have a 'snobbish' attitude to younger people (redolent of the cig card v trade card of the 50s and 60s)

Ogdenscards

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 07:43:50 PM »
Well stated exactly how I feel.
Bullies not welcome.
Chill an except all.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

fossil

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »
odgenscards, you are a greatlyvalued member to this forum, and your knowledge on all aspects of ogdens cards, seem almost encyclopeadic in this field.
i do not want to have any animosity with you upon this subject, as i look forward to reading all the information about this field of your interests, however i do wish to disagree with you on this latest topic with the new member.
you talk about rudeness ?, what rudeness do you consider to this new member ?
i can just as well,say i felt a rudeness by this members initial posts.
to me she appeared to have invadxed this forum with post after post with a couple of hundred sets of cards of her grandfather, just to sell.
no introduction or anything, just set after set to sell.
i considered this rudeness myself.
did you actually see all of her posts ?
you say that you like seeing items for sale on here, do you deem that corect in  a new member, that nobody has seen before, could be trustworthy.?
it could have been just like a few months back when this forum was swamped with post aftger post, with electrical goods, and created from somwone in the far east withmany users names.
i do not know that member was above board or trustworthy or not
do you still think this was acceptable, i i did not.
secondly, you say that it would be good to get first choice over ebay.
at least on ebay, i can see the cards on offer, and judge for myself most of the time.
i can read the feedback to see if he or she has much negative or positive feedback, and read others views on item sold.
i also have a fallback on ebay, if items are not as they are supposed to be, lost  not sent.
sellers on here , i cannot judge what they are selling or if trustworthy.
thats why i do not purchase from sellers on here.
you yourself may feel satisfied that a seller on here is genuine or mot, but i am not able to have that view myself.
as i have said a few times over the last couple of days, when a new member joins and asks for valid information, i am very willing to seek out information on subjects i have no knowledge of.
this seller did not appear to be seking true knowledge, to me it seems as if it was a pretence.
that is how i viewed this later member.
after having her posts deleted, we than had what seemed to be valid requests as if seking information for her own interests and for keeping some of her grandfathers item.
if after several members going out of their way to find out information for her, only after to find that her interest seem to be fake (well, at least to me), as all the cards asking for information seems to have not really benefitted her, to find out that she is actually selling them, seems a waste of other members time.
both the musical instruments, that she asks for information, she is selling or have tried to sell.
i felt that was wrong of her, almost as though using it as a ploy of some sort..
you also mention grandparents cards are welcome on here, in that case why not open up the floodgates for all ebay members to join this forum so that they can get free listings.
all of my favourite sellers, i could just as well inform them, that if they list here first, we may be able to view items before others.
i cannot see the point in opening the floodgates to everybody that has sets of cards found in their grandparents attics, this forum would not be able to exhist if hundreds join just so to sell.
this is my view and reason that i have appeared very negative towards this person, , it just did not seem genuine.
i know i can be controversial in my views, but in my line of work, we have been encouraged in our work to think laterally, or outside the box, so to say, but i and my collegues are all like this, but if we did not have different view points from others, we would possibly still be sitting around camp fires, so i am sorry if my views may differ greatly from yours, but that does not mean that i view you  with disregard, despite how we are both discussing this new member

Ogdenscards

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »
I think you slightly misunderstand my gripe yes I think you were to strong and may give this site the reputation as being unfriendly.

A newbie no matter what their intentions have no idea what considered good or bad posting.There is a place for the advertising cards for sale, so what on this site precludes them from doing so. The site presentation actual encourages sales by having a sectional heading for that very purpose.

As it happens do buy from eBay myself but would rather deal with people direct and often do.
Not here to make millions for eBay.
, would rather see that value kept in the cards.

Yes I think your suggestion of having dealers connected to this sight would be an advantage.

My intention is to highlight that your over the top comments have maybe prevented members from commenting or selling in fear of your barrage of negative comments.

My experience of negotiations, which is a lot, always best when both parties walk out of a room with a smile. Winning one battle does not win the war.

I have been in contact with the lady in question, she is pleasant and easy to deal with, only guilty of not knowing  perhaps what this site was about.

I also do keep in contact with other newbies who have not posted or at least not publicly.

Seeing what is for sale and what people have bought gives me the greatest pleasure.

Accept you comments, even though I did not see them, that for sale items have the potential of flooding the subject record but that is not the fault nor excuses abuse of or to newbie's.

I think and have spoken to "brid" (he is a friend), that the selling should be kept separate which is apparently possible.
An introduction to new members should be seen at first describing the "good & bad posting"
As for guests, why not have members only viewing or at least restrict what they can see.
16 guests and 3 users including myself.

I am certainly not bitter towards you and in fact look forward to your postings but sometimes far to strong to win the war.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 05:26:05 PM by Ogdenscards »
Best Regards David

fossil

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
i think we all must agree, that something must be done about selling and new mmembers on this forum.
over the course of me being a member on here, these topics have been raised several times, and i am sure that new guidelines must be sought on these recurring topic of membership and selling.
primarily, this website,as with its name, is aimed at collectors, and a collector, is someone that collects and has interest in the hobby.
i don't think it should be for people who hav e no interest in the hobby, as it seems rather pointless in  joining, unless you have an interest in collecting.
both admin and wolfie have made excellant suggestions for members who have cards for sale.
firstly, i think it should be by privelidge to sell, after all, many join, yet often do note contribute.
if a member wishes to sell, at least it gives them time to contribute to this forum in their discussions..
i know that i personally would not purchase from a member that has joined , with card to offer, without knowing more about them or their nature.
i have never purchased from any member on this forum, but i do know, that if offered cards or items for sale by some members i would have no hesitation on purchasing item , because i know of their interests and nature.
likewise as from ebay, if any probelems occur, i know that i am covered by their policies, and know that often than not, i would not have lost anything.
likewise , i can view their items, read their fedback, and purchase at my own discretion.
on here, having a new member with items for sale, i would not feel safe, with someone i had no idea about.
how often do we have sellers, have items for sale on here , and we never have no more contact with, yet they are still on the list as 'member'.
i know that i am very controversial on here, often i make a post and have a chuckle to myself, as having lit the 'blue touchpaper', and wait for the explosion, so to say, but thats the way i am, and as long as i make contributions, and provoke members to respond  and post messages , in the end keeps this forum alive and keeps viewers on here, and possibly entice non contributers to give their views.
also, with the sales section we have, keep it seperate, rather than clog up the main forum, also i am sure that many major dealers could either pay to have an advertising slot on here, or offer members a reduction in items they purchase through this forum

Ogdenscards

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »
We agree at last
Best Regards David

Who's online

10 Guests, 0 Users