Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: cavanders 'the homeland series'  (Read 3754 times)

fossil

• natural history, scienced, museum studies
cavanders 'the homeland series'
« on: April 27, 2013, 03:14:56 PM »
cavanders issued several variations of the set, 'the homeland series'
these cards were issued in two sizes, and in various quantaties per set.
a total of six sets are available, sets having 50, 54 or 56 cards.
some of the cards, can be found with a different picture.
on my 56 card set, i have five additional cards, nos. 18, 25, 31, 38 and 48.
would any collector of these cards, have any knowledge, as to how many other different picture variation in this set.
likewise, i have the smaller size 54 card set, with an additional seven cards, with a different picture.
there are also a few with a different text back, but this does not interest me as much as the different picture variations , which i seek additional information

PeterCS

Re: cavanders 'the homeland series'
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 11:22:39 PM »
Yes indeed. A bit of epic cinema voiceover is called for here.

"In a world ..." not noted for regularity or consistency - that of cig cards - this set has to beat the band, take the biscuit, win the all-time gold medal.

Once you dig into the area at all, cigarette cards become notorious for often having shorter and extended sets, original issues and later issues, smaller or larger size cards, black, brown, blue, green or purple backs, added text, no text or some text, variations in wording, different issues for different parts of the world, images and artwork wholly or partly shared between brands, or even different companies ...  in some cases, you could not design product anarchy much better.

And that's the point - there was clearly a lot of happenstance in what got produced. And new or revised printruns (in accordance with market demand, etc.) produced different results - sometimes it appears with whatever colour ink was to hand for the backs!

Which adds to the allure of the hobby, though it also adds to the frustration of the collector (especially the completist!).

But that (or those?) HOMELAND series .... must display at least half of the above incongruities and variations!

The strange thing is, it is essentially a very attractive collection, I think. A huge sweep of geographical, natural, zoological, architectural and cultural views of a nation in an era, presented in a way that even at the time of issue must have seemed charmingly archaic. The very title breathes nostalgia.

One other problem (apart from the plethora of variants) is that the rich saturated colours often bled, messily. ...

I still like the collection - mad and maddening as it is.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 11:26:52 PM by PeterCS »

Robin Friday

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 04:46:48 AM »
No view in particular I just wanted to bump a fossil thread to the top .
5am , time for some hot buttery toast and a cuppa .

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:20:44 AM »
Gents - a very problematic issue for the Cricket Card collector - how many do you need?

I've always hung onto the Cavander's issues because of the 'Hand Coloured' nature of the cards, with multiples of the ostensibly the same card differing in colour depth and coverage on the fronts and text layout, and in some case different wording on the reverse?

I've never been able to understand how, why or what cards were issued, Blue/Black writing on the reverse, Medium/Small sized, with Army Club branding/with Cavander's branding & then the real puzzle with/without 'Hand Coloured' centred and right justified!

For me the safest best is to keep 'em all so I can only begin to imagine the problem when you want to collect a set of them...

Best of luck and you do have a definitive listing of them so that the cricket component could be understood I'd love to see it.

I also am not certain if the same problematic issue exists with the Camera Studies series or whether they only issued the one cricket themed card in both sizes!

Any assistance would be appreciated
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

cigcardpix2

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 01:39:24 PM »
Hope this helps (I wasn't around when the original thread was started!)
The set of 54 has the following picture varieties;
#11 One man playing golf -  Five men playing golf
#13 Blue sky - Pink sky
#15 Building on left - Thatched cottage on right
#25 Coach stationary - Coach moving
#29 One cricketer - Four cricketers
#31 Horse by tree - Horses coming over hedge
#38 Building on right - Cottage on left
#46 No windows visible on cottage - Windows clearly visible
#48 Horsemen to right of coach - Horsemen disappearing to left.
There are also text varieties at numbers 1.5.10.34.49
Cheers, K

Robin Friday

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »
Great response .

Robin Friday

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:49:10 PM »
Peter , fully agreed that the main board is slightly confusing and as you state most things happen on 1 thread .

What I do find unusual is a lack of a permanent links page so info is readily available to members , lurkers and the casual visitor .
Its a great way of building bridges to other like minded sites .

PeterCS

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:52:25 AM »
As ever, Steve F speaks a lot of sense and with a good (broad) grasp of the topic, following in the footsteps of the well-informed and bewildered fossil at the top of the thread. And expresses the understandable view that in such crazed circumstances, it might be best to hang on to every card.

Cigcardpix2 summarises the detail of the many variants very neatly.

I hope to post something more on this series (or rather, this anarchy of series) shortly.

For the moment, here is a follow-up to the posts just mentioned.

If I understand him right, Steve asks for a bit more specifically on the Cricket card (#29).

The top two are clearly the same card, but illustrate together how wide the variation in tone and colour flooding (saturation, bleeding) a single card can be with those early (hand-coloured RP) Cavander sets. The third card is a different story. (For those with a cricket history interest, I keep thinking the batsman in the common variant 1 is Douglas Jardine of OU and Surrey - really his slightly stiff stance! - and in variant 2 Jupp of Northants. But probably both wrong!) I should point out that the second variant has a blue (text) back.

Number 46 is a bit more "varied" than cigcardpix2 puts it - admittedly, he's probably just "cutting to the chase", simplifying to one key feature, the windows on the house. But look at the whole camera/cropping height shift, the difference in the appearance of the tree at the top, and the prominence of its lane-overhanging branch. And also the strange sprig at the bottom right of the top variant. (Whereas the at first very striking difference in the bushes left and right is actually just another case of of overenthusiastic and varied, possibly bacchanalian drunken colouring!)

And then there's at least one extra variant ccp2 has not included in his list - and that's talking only of the smaller dimension sets with black backs, the most common type of this anarchic series, I think - namely #5:

I have all the other variations ccp2 mentions, though I have only one blue back (the "Jupp") and also one larger-dimension version, of #29 ("Cricket"), which is the "Jardine" as I called it.

I don't have the text variations for 1, 34, 49, mentioned by ccp2, and wonder how radical these are?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 11:01:22 AM by PeterCS »

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 11:08:21 AM »
I like this thread and have always liked the cards of Cavanders for the very reasons given for the frustration. Have never tried to solve the puzzle which is perhaps unsolvable so kept them all.

They have tended to be not considered attractive and popular with collectors hence relatively cheap. I know they are common but not as common as some cards more expensive, therefor desirability.

Haven't described myself before anything other than a collector but now can give myself another title " A completest"
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

Steve F.

• Rare cricket cards sought
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 12:03:45 AM »
PCS - it seems you speak from the heart as well as far as Cavander's cricket themed cards are concerned!

Excluding the obvious variations associated with the Hand Coloured nature of the cards, this is my understanding...

#29 Cricket (Three players & Umpire) - Horizontal display - Medium Sized cards...

a. THE HOMELAND SERIES Hand Coloured REAL PHOTOS header caption, with ARMY CLUB GIGARETTES footer caption
b. THE HOMELAND SERIES Hand Coloured REAL PHOTOS header caption, with CAVANDERS LTD footer caption
c. THE HOMELAND SERIES REAL PHOTOS header caption (Right Justified), with CAVANDERS LTD footer caption
d. THE HOMELAND SERIES REAL PHOTOS header caption (Centre Justified), with CAVANDERS LTD footer caption

#29 Cricket (Three players & Umpire - Horizontal display - Small (normal!) sized cards...

e.  THE HOMELAND SERIES Hand Coloured REAL PHOTOS header caption, with CAVANDERS LTD footer caption (per b. above) in Black Text
f. THE HOMELAND SERIES Hand Coloured REAL PHOTOS header caption, with CAVANDERS LTD footer caption (per b. above) in Blue Text (with the footer section reversed out Blue with white text)

As yet I have not discovered an Army Club version nor any with the 'Hand Coloured' Text missing and subsequent REAL PHOTOS justification varieties. Does anyone have any proof that these do/don't exist?

I've also noticed among the Black backed small (normal) sized cards that I have kept, that the text is centred at different levels within the Cavander's Advertorial panel - just to add to the confusion...

#29 Cricket (One player) - Vertical display - Small (Normal) and Medium Sized card

Hopefully I am correct with this one, but it appears that the Medium sized cards have no varieties (apart from the hand colouring) and come with only one back (b. above) i.e.  THE HOMELAND SERIES Hand Coloured REAL PHOTOS header caption, with CAVANDERS LTD footer caption in Black Text (g.), while the Small (Normal) sized cards come with the same message format but the reverses are also in black (h.) and blue text (i)!

I trust this is correct and if so, I'd suggest that apart from the hand colouring and reverse text layout variations there are NINE different cards as a nominal 'base set' to collect to have all the cricket card permutations and combinations!

And I haven't even begun to investigate the Camera Studies set which could potentially have similar variations, but I would be most pleased if someone could confirm this is not the case!

As I suggested earlier - safer to keep 'em all... 
Looking for rare or unusual Cricket cards

PeterCS

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 12:09:56 AM »
There are so many intriguing elements to this demented Frankenstein's monster of a collection!

As promised/threatened above, I hope to stick something more up here soon. Partly factual inventory, partly hunches. And probably some idle speculation ...

Who's online

43 Guests, 0 Users