January 16, 2018, 11:39:11 AM

Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Author Topic: New member in Sheffield  (Read 2045 times)

Jediknight

New member in Sheffield
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:04:44 PM »
Just discovered this site and joined so thought I’d say hello and introduce myself.

My Grandparents got me hooked on collecting from an early age. They used to give me piles of Brooke Bond cards every time I visited which would keep me occupied for ages.  Looking back, each packet/tin in those days must have contained multiple cards otherwise my Grandparents drank ridiculous amounts of tea!

From Brooke Bond my collecting progressed onto Panini stickers and now it’s pretty much anything and everything! I’ve tried to restrict collecting to my main passions (Spurs & golf cigarette/trade cards) but I still can’t resist buying sets with random subject matter if they take my fancy.

Looking forward to reading the different threads on here. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge/information to tap into.  Hopefully I might be able to contribute occasionally.                 

Robin Friday

Re: New member in Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
Hi Jedi ,

Welcome to CCC.com , I'm sure you'll find the site interesting and you'll surely have some contributions/opinions/knowledge to share in the near future .

Good luck with your card quests

Dant

ps ..I never completed one BB set as my Mam always went with the tea that was cheapest and we only had BB if it reached that criteria , no brand loyalty in the mid 6o's .

Cedric1812

• Birds (pre-1970), ATC, Boer War & 19thC American
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 12:09:59 PM »
Hi and welcome to the site! It's a relief to know there is finally a member within 25 miles of Leeds.

Sam
Always interested in buying rare bird cards

exdrummer

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 03:39:19 PM »
We always had Brooke Bond dividend tea when I was a kid in the 60's. I think it came in quarter pound packets with a tough dark green outer packet and a thinner white liner. The card was between the 2 packets, and there was a dividend stamp on the outer that my Mum stuck on to a special card and when that was full it got handed in, either for money or for vouchers, I'm not sure which. That kept my Mum interested so I always completed the sets, which were religiously stuck into the special albums :-[ There was only ever 1 card, but there may have been more in the packs of teabags, but we never had those.

Good luck with your wants list and welcome to the site, there's usually a lot of info and banter on here... :)

TheHoarder

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »
We always had Brooke Bond dividend tea when I was a kid in the 60's. I think it came in quarter pound packets with a tough dark green outer packet and a thinner white liner. The card was between the 2 packets, and there was a dividend stamp on the outer that my Mum stuck on to a special card and when that was full it got handed in, either for money or for vouchers, I'm not sure which. That kept my Mum interested so I always completed the sets, which were religiously stuck into the special albums :-[ There was only ever 1 card, but there may have been more in the packs of teabags, but we never had those.

Good luck with your wants list and welcome to the site, there's usually a lot of info and banter on here... :)

That was my treat when I went to see my Grandmother (life was simple in the early/mid 50s!  ::) ) to stick those dividend stamps in the book.
And watching the gas/electric man emptying the meter and deftly putting the shillings into £1 paper rolls - an art in itself!

Ahh, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..................... :o

TheHoarder

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »

Welocme! From a recent newbie, now promoted to Junior Member!!  ;D

Who's online

18 Guests, 0 Users