Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Comptons gravy salt cards...(Any uncreased ones out there?)  (Read 2145 times)

gordon0653

Comptons gravy salt cards...(Any uncreased ones out there?)
« on: November 22, 2013, 07:17:25 PM »
First of all Thanks everyone for the welcome to the site, One of my favourite card series is the Comptons Gravy Salt football cards, depicting a player in the team colours with the club name below,The problem I,ve
 found with these lovely old cards is they either tend to be stained or slightly creased due to the way they were put in the packets, I tend to steer clear of stained cards, however I do have a couple of lightly creased ones in my part set, They are becoming difficult to get in good condition I,ve found,(I,m collecting the B
 coloured series), I dont know whether this is a topic thats been covered before but I was wondering what the opinion  of other collectors was on buying rare creased cards, Do you go for em, or leave em, alone?

Penno55

Re: Comptons gravy salt cards...(Any uncreased ones out there?)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:09:54 PM »
Hi Gordon

I tend to steer away from creased cards unless they are extremely rare. The Comptons to my experience are scarce but not rare. Having said that they are very difficult in top condition. If you take the Sport Kings gum cards I have just recently scanned onto the site you will see that the Bobby Jones card is creased...but a nice one is over five hundred quid and thus I will put up with the creased version...at least for the time being.
I have a set of the post cards series of BDV silks football club colours and there are several in that set which are difficult but I bought mine as a set after someone else had done all the hard work.

Good luck with your collection and I will just check out what odds I have of the coloured set. From memory I think I have Sheff Wed, Man Utd and Preston but need to double check.

Regds
Penno55

gordon0653

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 01:47:34 PM »
Hi Gordon

I tend to steer away from creased cards unless they are extremely rare. The Comptons to my experience are scarce but not rare. Having said that they are very difficult in top condition. If you take the Sport Kings gum cards I have just recently scanned onto the site you will see that the Bobby Jones card is creased...but a nice one is over five hundred quid and thus I will put up with the creased version...at least for the time being.
I have a set of the post cards series of BDV silks football club colours and there are several in that set which are difficult but I bought mine as a set after someone else had done all the hard work.

Good luck with your collection and I will just check out what odds I have of the coloured set. From memory I think I have Sheff Wed, Man Utd and Preston but need( to double check.

Regds
Penno55
Thanks,  I,m  collecting BDV silks too (medium), just a couple away from the set.

exdrummer

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
Hi Gordon
I too try to avoid creased cards, but if they are very rare or very cheap and something I've been searching for I will sometimes buy them as space fillers, although that doesn't seem sensible having to buy the card twice....

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 10:25:39 AM »
Unless they are vary scare I avoid creased/bad cards as that is what they always will be , better to save and persevere for a decent card which will be maintained in its condition Have a few Compton's and find almost all have some kind of mark .stain from inner contents or slightly creased due to the way they were packaged

gordon0653

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 01:42:44 PM »
 Yes, I guess its just a matter of resisting the temptation to buy, especially on an older rare card you,ve been  seeking for ages, By the way Mick saw your Maynards football card in the gallery...It,s a beauty! Dont see many of those about.

Mariner tony

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 01:44:10 PM »
Condition: the dilemma for all collectors. And to be honest I've never really come to an adequate resolution to this issue.
I do not want any card in my collection that is not at least in very good condition. But I do not want that blank space when I examine 49 other cards either! If you do bite the bullet and complete your set with a dog eared card then, in my opinion, it degrades the look of the set as a whole.
Having said that, I plead guilty to ignoring the above sentiments completely, and purchasing a lesser card (at an appropriate price) to complete a set. As I said, it's a tough call.

exdrummer

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 04:25:15 PM »
Mariner Tony, that echoes my feelings pretty much, but as you say sometimes it is better to complete the set and keep looking for that last card again in the right condition.

MansfieldTerrier

• Looking for Huddersfield Town stuff
    • The Huddersfield Town Collection
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 08:55:14 AM »
You'll find them here, on one of my FOUR websites!

1920s Heaven

Who's online

23 Guests, 0 Users