Click here if you
need magnetic signs for vans

Or here if you
need a
Corporate Video Production Company or
video producers in Milton Keynes

Geoff Fowler - Artist

Privacy Policy

Author Topic: Another Canadian  (Read 4891 times)

Roadie16

Another Canadian
« on: January 02, 2014, 07:21:45 PM »
Hello everyone. I am fairly new to card collecting so have a lot to learn. I have been reading this forum for a few days now and have found you very informative, thus I registered.
I retired a few years ago after working in the petrochemical industry for ~40 years, mainly as a Health/Safety/Environmental & Training Supervisor. I now help part time at our local Red Cross as a CPR/First Aid instructor.
I began with one set of trading cards that I had been wanting since my childhood: Topps Civil War News - 1962. Well that led to other trading cards such as TV Westerns, America at War: Band of Brothers Series 1, etc.
Then one day as I was surfing the internet I discovered cigarette cards. The first set purchased were: Mysteries and Wonders Series 1 & 2 by Coopers Tea 1961. I have since purchased others such as Godfrey Phillips 1938 Aircraft Series, Wills Military Motors, etc
I collect cards because I like them more then I am looking for an investment. I try to collect original cards but I have purchased the odd reprint: I.E.: American Civil War Generals.
I do collect other "things" and I am an avid motorcyclist as well.
Looking forward to talking with you all.

Mariner tony

Re: Another Canadian
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
Welcome Roadie.
I'm pleased you have joined and are enjoying the site.
Their are many very knowledgeable collectors here who are always happy to offer advice and share their experience.
Enjoy your collecting!

Captain Pugwash

• Anything to do with A&BC Gum
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 07:45:40 PM »
Hello & welcome Roadie

Civil war news. what a great choice  8)

Roadie16

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »
Well Captain, I did have the Civil War News set when I was 9 years old, but somewhere along the line they got lost. So, when the chance came to buy the set with the Confederate money, I purchased them. Now my grandson will inherit them one day.

Thank you Mariner Tony and Captain Pugwash for the warm welcomes.

Steve F

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:22:28 AM »
Welcome Roadie - another collector who subscribes to this Forum from afar...

Be interested to know if you could ever locate the 1920's Canadian Willard's Chocolate cards - there are two cricketers in the issue of 50 and I need one of them - #44 Muriel Maxted, which never surfaces in the open market here in the land Down Under.

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:41:33 AM »
You will enjoy chatting about the cards and asking questions and you will gain that necessary experience called knowledge of and about different series.

Because of the vast number and selection out there I recommend you hone in on a particular sector whether it be by make, theme or period. It looks like you are keen on the early bubblegum cards, that has become a popular period, of the 40-50's + something are recollecting their child hood cards.

I, as the name suggests, collect cards issued by Ogden's who started issuing cards 1894 until 1939 with their main period just either side of the 1900's. If you have any questions no matter if previously asked or how "beginerish", please ask away. We will always try our best at answering.

Remember that old adage "the more you put in the more you get out"
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

magpiemick

• newcastle united related stuff
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 04:29:14 PM »
Welcome to the site Roadie enjoy the knowledge and enjoy the posts

IanSammel

• German cards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 06:28:49 PM »
Hi Roadie, welcome to the forum.
I come from somewhere long ago...
and now there's no way back
Be Bop Deluxe

Roadie16

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 09:43:22 PM »
Welcome Roadie - another collector who subscribes to this Forum from afar...

Be interested to know if you could ever locate the 1920's Canadian Willard's Chocolate cards - there are two cricketers in the issue of 50 and I need one of them - #44 Muriel Maxted, which never surfaces in the open market here in the land Down Under.

I have never looked for these but I will now keep an eye when searching flea markets, antiquing, etc..
#44 Muriel Maxted.
If I see one, what price would you be looking at for purchase?

cigcardpix2

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:53:00 PM »
Hi Roadie....welcome to the forum

Steve F

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »
Roadie,

I'd be happy to pay up to A$50 or thereabouts + postage if a VG+ card was available...

This card is not really high on my priority list but as far as I can tell the Willard's issues are one of the few Canadian Cricket cards produced pre 1970 which falls into my Collection spread - 1880's - 1970's

Just be nice to complete the pair as the other one (#46 Collins) looks lonely on the Album page line

I am also aware of a card issued by Dominion Chocolates from the 1920's as well, which features the McGill Cricket Club, though I've never seen one for sale, let alone in real life.

Hoping you can help 

Roadie16

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 12:36:46 AM »
Alright Steve F I will watch out for the cards. We have a few large antique shows in the spring. We also have a number of flea markets in the area as well.
Do you call them flea markets in the U.K. ?
We have very few card shops in my area. I would have to venture to Toronto which is about 250K from where I live.
Right now we are hibernating for the winter. We have ~30 cm of snow on the ground and -20C temps.

Ogdenscards

• Collects all cards issued by Ogden's
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2014, 11:23:48 AM »
Antique fairs, flea markets, car boots, card collecting clubs with stalls of dealers and collectors alike, auctions and of course ebay, these are all found in the Uk and is the source of our cards.

Hibernating will give you ample time to post, look forward to reading them.
Always looking for interesting cards and associated goods issued by Ogden's you can see samples of cards I am looking for in the wants section.
Best Regards David

exdrummer

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2014, 08:50:36 PM »
Enjoy your hibernation, here in the uk it's been very mild, but with gales and really heavy rain, many places are flooded including houses. Must be dreadful for those affected....

Who's online

13 Guests, 0 Users